Alexander González Fertel

186 likes

·

22.9K reads

18 comments

Juan F Gonzalez
Juan F Gonzalez
Jun 19, 2021

What a great, detailed, and thorough post here. I agree 100% with the title. Big props Alexander González Fertel

I've used Vim a couple of times before but last month I decided to pick it back up and start using less and less VSCode long with it.

PS: You can have those 2 features that you mention from VSCode with some configs in your .vimrc file. Although file manipulation in netrw is even better with tpope plugin 'vim-vinegar'

And for multicursors, this is what I use...

nnoremap <silent> s* :let @/='\<'.expand('<cword>').'\>'<CR>cgn
xnoremap <silent> s* "sy:let @/=@s<CR>cgn
·
·1 reply
Author
·Jun 19, 2021

Thank you very much! I'll try them out!

·
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Jun 14, 2021

Hi Alexander González Fertel

I remember VIM from the university as well... I didn't really like it and I was always avoiding it. After your article, I'll maybe give it another shot. I definitely wasn't aware of all the capabilities you mentioned.

Thanks.

·
·1 reply
Author
·Jun 14, 2021

I'm glad that you're trying it! I think you won't regret it! Cheers!

·
Stefan Schirra
Stefan Schirra
Jun 17, 2021

Tahnks a 100 times. Vim deserves articles like yours.

·
Hieu Do
Hieu Do
Jun 14, 2021

Great read! Now I just need to find the time to git gud at touch typing and vim :')

·
Tomasz Gil
Tomasz Gil
Jun 14, 2021

Wow, you are really courageous. 👏 I recently gave up and switched from the default vim to vscode for git rebase but perhaps I should stick a bit longer.

Great, in-depth article!

·
John
John
Jun 14, 2021

Great article! While I wasn't aware of the lovely feature where you apply a macro to lines selected with a regular expression, I can't help but point out that just sorting would have been enough for your usecase ;)

·
·1 reply
Author
·Jun 14, 2021

Thanks! Yeap, you're right, I didn't notice :)

·
Victor
Victor
Jun 14, 2021

Nice of you to share this! Tip: The grouping and sorting can be accomplished even easier (albeit making it less of a vim feature showcase) by simply running :sort with no visual selection - it will sort the entire buffer, including grouping by prefix.

·
·1 reply
Author
·Jun 14, 2021

Yeap, thank you, that makes sense :)

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Jun 14, 2021

Thank you!

·
Codetoomuch
Codetoomuch
Jun 15, 2021

Vim was always worth it, using it since I first figured out how :wq it.

·
Kamil Gierach-Pacanek
Kamil Gierach-Pacanek
Jun 17, 2021

I should definitely give it a try, especially right now when I'm spending a couple of hours each day in Linux, working with scripts and doing text edits.

·
Richard Guay
Richard Guay
Jun 18, 2021

You should try Onivim2! It’s a full vim with support for VSC extensions. It is fully compiled code that runs really fast! I mostly use Onivim2, but I do use neovim with SpaceVim configuration. Works great for me!

·
Aritra Dattagupta
Aritra Dattagupta
Jun 16, 2021

Vim, the most productive IDE on the planet. Once you start using vim there is no going back and you would NOT want to go back.

Check out Neovim 0.5 which is not on the stable branch yet but it's quite stable. It has built-in lsp support and other cool and productive features.

Seriously, start using vim and you would not want to go back to any other IDE.

·
JackySee
JackySee
Jun 18, 2021

As an alternative for multiple cursor, I will do "*" on the word, 'N' to go back, then 'cgn' to change the first occurrence. Then dot dot dot to repeat the change to next occurrence. (You can skip the go back by 'haya14busa/vim-asterisk')

·
Vikash Kumar
Vikash Kumar
Oct 21, 2021

Thank you 👍 for such article. This has boosted my confidence to start it again.

·