Collins Ruto

53 likes

·

948 reads

5 comments

Todd
Todd
Oct 17, 2019

Collins Ruto This article interests me as I too use VSCode but some colleagues use VIM. I have a basic familiarity with VIM like you did but haven't turned it into a full IDE yet.

However, I can't help but ask, why didn't you just use VSCode's built-in terminal by pressing Ctrl+`? You can run tests, builds, and apps in there or do whatever else you want in the shell. Would you care to explain other benefits of Vim over VSCode? Thanks.

·
·2 replies
Collins Ruto
Collins Ruto
Author
·Oct 17, 2019

I really disliked VScode's inbuilt terminal. I loved running my tests in the terminal so I could have a full view of what was happening. I disliked the idea of having half code and half terminal on VScode - it really didn't impress me. Moreso, I loved splitting my terminal into different panes and tabs running different processes, the server, tests, redis, etc. VScode's terminal couldn't be of much help.

·
Collins Ruto
Collins Ruto
Author
·Oct 18, 2019

For comparison with other editors, Vim is an advanced text editor.

1. It is ubiquitous - it is installed everywhere. All Linux distros have vim installed and set as the default editor. I am sure you have met vim in unexpected places too :)
  2. Vim is powerful. You can make complex edits quickly with advanced vim features such as macros, registers, command-repetition, autocompletion, text-objects, searching, filters, global substitution, etc. I know most text editors have some of these features, but Vim just takes it to a whole new level.
  3. Vim's knowledge is transferable - you can use vim's keybindings on your normal command line, or with Unix' man or less commands
  4. Vim is like a language. Once you start to master it, you start to think in it, which is awesome! Eg to delete 3 words, just type d3w! How cool is that :)
  5. Vim is thoroughly documented. Forgot a command? Just type :help and you have all the documentation with easy search
  6. Vim is fun! Once you learn it, it becomes super fun to use! These days I get into the zone as soon as I open my Vim editor, I just love it

Todd I hope that helps?

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Oct 17, 2019

Thanks for this. I've been postponing learning last few months. Now definitely gonna do it.

·
·1 reply
Collins Ruto
Collins Ruto
Author
·Oct 17, 2019

Yesss Benjamin Beganović DM me here on Hashnode or on Twitter(@kaka_ruto) if you have any questions! I'll be glad to help. All the best learning Vim. Definitely start with Thoughbot's Vim tutorials on Upcase

·