Amazing post!! I'm new here and this is the first blog post I read completely

Thanks for sharing 😀🙌

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 4, 2023

This is an incredible compliment, I really appreciate it Saran!

·
Joel Emmanuel
Joel Emmanuel
Feb 5, 2023

This post was so engaging I didn't know when I finished reading it. Well-done.

·
Ankit Singh
Ankit Singh
Feb 5, 2023

It was Awesome thanks for that

·
Hamza Mateen
Hamza Mateen
Feb 4, 2023

wow, thanks for sharing this

·
Mahlil Mahee
Mahlil Mahee
Feb 4, 2023

It will encourage me to give time in to the open source . Thanks for sharing this to us

·
Thomas
Thomas
Feb 4, 2023

Thanks Jake Page for sharing. I'm considering to join any open source projects in 2023 that i'm interested on, and this post actually gives me more motivation to take action on it. Keep sharing these type of contents, I think It would help others as well

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 5, 2023

Thanks a million Thomas! I def will try to keep this kind of content coming! Cheers!

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Feb 5, 2023

Open source is great. I also browse the explore section in GitHub on a daily basis. Finding an open-source project through producthunt is new for me. Thanks for sharing mate!

·
Anwar Sadat Ayub
Anwar Sadat Ayub
Feb 5, 2023

One of the realistic articles you can read nowadays. I am moving away from contributing to documentation and start with the coding part. Thanks man

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 5, 2023

Yeah man, well done. You can do it.

·
Priyanshu Kumawat
Priyanshu Kumawat
Feb 5, 2023

Great article Jake Page, Open-Source FTW !! 🚀

·
Youssef Hassan
Youssef Hassan
Feb 5, 2023

THANK YOU, even though I have not yet purchased a course online. but I'm interested in open-source.

·
Atharva Salitri
Atharva Salitri
Feb 5, 2023

Amazing Blog !!

·
Jitto Joyes
Jitto Joyes
Feb 6, 2023

What would you recommend like, sticking to 1 or 2 repo or more than that?

·
·2 replies
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 6, 2023

Honestly, start with 1. Got one done? Then juggle two or more. But at least get one done from start to finish, that's what I would do anyway.

·
Jitto Joyes
Jitto Joyes
Feb 7, 2023

Fine.

·
Harshwardan Nathu Singh Rajpurohit
Harshwardan Nathu Singh Rajpurohit
Feb 6, 2023

Its Eye opener ,Thanks a lot ..... Because since i am also doing this type of learning

>

·
·1 reply
Bhuwan Paudel
Bhuwan Paudel
Feb 8, 2023

a very good point - try to solve an issue a month. I will try that

·
Shivendra Shrivastwa
Shivendra Shrivastwa
Feb 8, 2023

Your clear and concise explanations cleared all my doubts regarding open source which I wanted to clear for last many days. I'm grateful for the time and effort you put into creating this.

Thank you so much for sharing this informative and well-written blog on open source.

·
Tanish Shrivastava
Tanish Shrivastava
Feb 9, 2023

"I guess the less conforming and more impulsive side of my personality had a thirst for action and wanted to jump to the big leagues prematurely, but how could I learn to get better incrementally, bit by bit while still working on exciting projects from the “get-go”?"

Though I don't have a course addiction, I do feel the same sentiments when it comes to my own skills. I did contribute to open source last year, but the project got stalled, and now I am searching for a new one.

Anyway, thanks for this wonderful article, Jake.

·
Christophe Anfry
Christophe Anfry
Feb 9, 2023

Amazing article, I feel like it's my situation. I'm going to put much more effort in open-source contribution. Thank you for explaining how it works because can be overwhelming when you're a beginner.

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 9, 2023

Thanks Christophe Anfry :)

·
Jessai Maya
Jessai Maya
Feb 13, 2023

I feel so related to this, I think I have the same addiction! This is a really helpful article full of great tips and advices to follow. Definitely I gonna try to participate in some open source projects!

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 13, 2023

Great to hear Jessai Maya Best of luck on your OSS journey mate.

·
Paul Watts
Paul Watts
Feb 16, 2023

I'm guilty of all the points you raised at the start of your article 😒 You have given some great advice that I intend to act on. Thank you!

·
Faruk Abdulla Munshi
Faruk Abdulla Munshi
Feb 18, 2023

This is the most effective way to really learn and master something by heart.

·
Ujjawal Bhatia
Ujjawal Bhatia
Apr 3, 2023

you know I come back to this post to read it again and again. I didn't even close the tab that's how much i liked it

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Feb 6, 2023

OMG Jake Page, just brilliant! I saw myself in so many pieces of your writing. God, how many Udemy courses I purchased in the past 😥.

I concur completely on your article, especially on "Pick an issue that's slightly out of your league". Correcting a typo is fine once or maybe twice, not more. As you say, it doesn't add any great value, except for a feel good factor.

Open source in Product Hunt was also new to me. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 6, 2023

Thanks so much Sambhavi Dhanabalan really appreciate the comment.

·
Eric Boucher
Eric Boucher
Feb 10, 2023

Thanks for mentioning Ovio :) I added Komiser to our platfrom!

·
·1 reply
Jake Page
Jake Page
Author
·Feb 10, 2023

Thanks so much Eric! Great news.

·