Michael Lin

512 likes

·

14.6K reads

73 comments

KRUPA SAGAR
KRUPA SAGAR
Feb 2, 2023

Thank you, Michael Lin, for sharing your story. I can relate to it as I went through a similar experience before the Covid-19 outbreak. Unfortunately, my travel plans were cancelled. Wishing you all the best.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Thanks Krupa!

·
Sandro Volpicella
Sandro Volpicella
Feb 2, 2023

Hey 👋🏽 amazing article. Amazing that quitting your job turned out so something great, happy for you 😊

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Thanks Sandro!

·
Vedant Mahajan
Vedant Mahajan
Feb 2, 2023

That was a very bold decision. But yeah, nothing matters more than mental peace and passion itself. All the best for your journey ahead!

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Ty Vedant for understanding!

·
Aniket Kharpatil
Aniket Kharpatil
Feb 2, 2023

That is a rare case you identified and managed to change your life in a great way. I wonder what would be your thoughts if it was Amazon in case of Netflix and you were given the role change for product management, would you be still doing the job or take a similar decision then?

·
·2 replies
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

If they gave me the job, I probably would still be there.

·
Aniket Kharpatil
Aniket Kharpatil
Feb 3, 2023

Okay!

·
lang xiuzhe
lang xiuzhe
Feb 2, 2023

I really appreciate your bravery in quitting a such high paying job. Not everyone can give that up...

·
·2 replies
Ian M. Kioko
Ian M. Kioko
Feb 2, 2023

i cant thats for sure(hahahaha)

·
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

It's not easy for sure

·
Adekomi Abdul Haleem
Adekomi Abdul Haleem
Feb 2, 2023

Great one This is a really nice dream

Wish you best of luck and sucess

Would love to connect more with you. Would love to know if you're planning to start building products you love. I'm a builder and also a freelancer product designer

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Sure, you can find my socials in my bio

·
Faraz Ahmad
Faraz Ahmad
Feb 2, 2023

Amazing article.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Thanks Faraz!

·
Kevin Xu
Kevin Xu
Feb 2, 2023

Congratulations on making the hard decisions in your life and figuring out what you want in your life!

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Appreciate your support Kevin!

·
kiran
kiran
Feb 2, 2023

An inspirational post Michael, i guess and agree that even if we are little less off financially, we have to go for job or venture which gives personal satisfaction.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Totally Kiran!

·
Manuela Flores
Manuela Flores
Feb 3, 2023

I really liked the article, it was very inspiring, even if I haven't been through something like that. Good luck with this new adventure ✨.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Thanks Manuela!

·
Catherine Kiiru
Catherine Kiiru
Feb 3, 2023

It's fascinating how we all have a shared humanity regardless of where we live, where we work and how much we get paid. I live in Nairobi, Kenya and I experienced the same feeling of demotivation and anxiety while working a role that did not fit my skillset - only that I didn't have the courage to leave at that time. I also waited for when they were laying off people for me to get a severance package, which gave me the freedom to transition from marketing to software engineering. Thank you for sharing your story - it's relatable and encouraging. I wish you the very best in your new journey.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Thank you for your story Catherine, glad you could relate!

·
Abdulazeez Abdulqadir
Abdulazeez Abdulqadir
Feb 3, 2023

This was very insightful. Thanks for sharing. I learned two things from this read. 1. Just take the jump. 2. I love your writing style and I think I'm gonna steal.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it Abdul!

·
Subha Chanda
Subha Chanda
Feb 3, 2023

"The most dangerous things are heroin, and a monthly salary." - Naval

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Yes Subha!

·
Nancy Barbara
Nancy Barbara
Feb 3, 2023

Amazing story Michael Lin

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

Ty Tiisha!

·
Juan F Gonzalez
Juan F Gonzalez
Feb 3, 2023

YES! This is the way! In times of pandemic, recession, and uncertainty. The riskiest thing you can do is try to "play it safe".

I also quit my well-paid developer job last year and focused on building a brand like others. Super scary at the beginning but terribly rewarding and I'm now in a much better position than ever.

Best of luck in your future projects Michael Lin.

·
·2 replies
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 3, 2023

We're all gonna make it Juan!

·
Juan F Gonzalez
Juan F Gonzalez
Feb 4, 2023

That's for sure, Michael!

·
Beatriz Campos
Beatriz Campos
Feb 6, 2023

Hey, great article! Those must've been anxious times so congrats on deciding to make the hard decisions you did and putting yourself first. And thank you for sharing your story :)

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 7, 2023

It was definitely not easy, thanks for the support Beatriz!

·
CN
CN
Feb 7, 2023

Linsanity!!!!! But awesome dude and way to go after your dreams! Never stop finding the best version of yourself!

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 7, 2023

Haha thanks CN!

·
Rutika
Rutika
Feb 22, 2023

This was such an insightful read! Off to read all of your blog posts :)

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 22, 2023

Thanks Rutika!

·
Haris Ahmad
Haris Ahmad
Feb 1, 2023

Hi Michael Lin, Haris here, I'm a front end developer mainly coding in react, next and react native, and I have been enjoying, my Bachelors is in electronics engineering but I was passionate about programming and building apps soo I started my career in software, and its been one and half year and I'm doing good I believe.

I have read your article and somehow I believe what you are saying is right but before coming to that point in my life I would like you to guide me if possible that how can i land a job in big companies like netflix.

Thank you Kind regards

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Rooting for your career success Haris!

·
SmogCoding
SmogCoding
Feb 1, 2023

What are you doing now? Are you doing freelance or starting your own company?

·
·2 replies
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

I'm growing an engineering consulting business with my partner where we helped VC-backed startups build MVP's.

·
SmogCoding
SmogCoding
Feb 2, 2023

That's amazing!!

·
Victoria Lo
Victoria Lo
Feb 2, 2023

A relatable and insightful story! Thanks for sharing Michael Lin

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Glad you liked it Victoria! :)

·
Lera
Lera
Feb 7, 2023

good article

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 7, 2023

<3

·
Chris Achinga
Chris Achinga
Feb 1, 2023

Wow, this is amaze of, I could relate to the anxiety one gets after missing work message

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Definitely Chris, it's very anxiety inducing!

·
AbhisekH MukherjeE
AbhisekH MukherjeE
Feb 1, 2023

Lots of good wishes for you. TC

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Thanks Abhishek!

·
Shreyash Singh
Shreyash Singh
Feb 1, 2023

Amazing article! Definitely want to have an adventure like this in my life someday.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

I'm rooting for you Shreyash!

·
Isaiah Sanchez
Isaiah Sanchez
Feb 1, 2023

Great story!!

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Thanks Isaiah, and I replied to your comment on Twitter!

·
Thomas
Thomas
Feb 2, 2023

Thanks for sharing Michael Lin. I've learnt a lots from your story. Keep working on what you love and love what you're doing

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Appreciate your support Thomas!

·
Shrishti
Shrishti
Feb 2, 2023

Wow! This really takes a lot of courage and reassurance. I am only inspired and more.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

Thanks Shrishti!

·
Rohan Kar
Rohan Kar
Feb 2, 2023

"Watching millions of people die from COVID made me realize that tomorrow is not guaranteed. You could die from COVID before any of your dreams are ever realized. And the longer you put off a dream, the greater the risk that it never happens. So if there is anything you want, you have to go for it right now."

This para really hit me in the feels!! Thanks for sharing your experience , this was really insightful.

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

I'm glad it inspired you Rohan!

·
David Lorenz
David Lorenz
Feb 2, 2023

Good read Mate. I had the same golden handcuffs or how I called them: Golden Cage. Happy for you

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 2, 2023

I truly appreciate your support David!

·
Jennie D Souza
Jennie D Souza
Feb 6, 2023

Great going! Keep growing Michael Lin

·
·1 reply
Michael Lin
Michael Lin
Author
·Feb 6, 2023

Appreciated Jennie!

·
Edison Cao
Edison Cao
Feb 8, 2023

I don't think this is an idea that applies to everyone. If you need money, I think you should solve the problem first. The author should not need much money at the moment.

·
Wes McNamee
Wes McNamee
Feb 7, 2023

Has anyone done this that also has a family to support?

·
Arpan Roy
Arpan Roy
Feb 11, 2023

I think you watch too many Motivation Videos! You are trying to find passion in your work life, money should be the biggest motivation cause it gives you the power to find happiness anywhere.

After earning money everyone thinks about entrepreneurship cause it gives them options if it didn't pan out, but it hardly works that way cause your motivation will never be higher than a person who doesn't have money from start but trying to make his way to it.

My suggestion is don't write an article like this, it actually affects the young generation who are new to this world, they will start seeing the world from your perspective which will make their life quite miserable.

Everyone thinks that their life should be as they want at work, but why should it? If it needs to be that way then from day 1 become an entrepreneur rather than after some years of work when you have enough money to afford it.

If you love so much quote then quote me "Money should be the biggest motivation cause it gives you the power to find happiness anywhere"

·
Shubham Rajput
Shubham Rajput
Feb 13, 2023

I did the same after burnout. The dilemma was very similar like you faved. Left the company for peace and spent time with family. It wasn't a smart decision according to my colleagues but I enjoyed it. I was happier doing nothing and playing with my dog. After sometime the desire to build things came back. And started applying for places and am preparing for interviews.

·
Shahrukh Altaf
Shahrukh Altaf
Feb 21, 2023

my goals are the same as you have explained in this artical.

·
Arvina
Arvina
Feb 24, 2023

Thanks

·