Sign in
Atharva Bhuse

180 likes

3.8K reads

21 comments

Azmath
Azmath
Jan 31, 2023

Great article! It provides a comprehensive overview of re-rendering in react, especially for beginner. The clear explanation and examples make it easy to understand the concept. Thank you for sharing.

1 reply
Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Jan 31, 2023

Thanks Azmath

Thomas
Thomas
Feb 1, 2023

Thanks, Atharva. It's tremendous and understandable for anyone new to React concept. Keep sharing these kinds of topics

1 reply
Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 1, 2023

Thanks Thomas

Ankush
Ankush
Feb 1, 2023

Great article!!

1 reply
Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 1, 2023

Thanks Ankush

Anmol Jhamb
Anmol Jhamb
Feb 1, 2023

Hey! It was a great article! I just started out with React just last month. and I had a small doubt, would it be better to use a useRef hook when I have a form with around 5 or 6 fields? It doesn't re-render the component, right? but if we only need the value of the inputs onSubmit, so do we really need to re-render them? I am a beginner so I don't really know if it would be a good approach or not. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this!

3 replies
Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 1, 2023

Hello Anmol, I would be happy to help you with that. Yes, you are right. useRef() does not re-render the component but it is still preferable to use useState() hook because it keeps component up-to-date with latest state. Even if you need value of the inputs on submit of the form, I will suggest to use useState() hook because it provides a better control on each input value change and corresponding behavior of submit button. For example you can display error messages and disable submit button if user is entering wrong input value. I would like to suggest you Formik and Yup libraries for state management and validating form inputs in React. Thanks Anmol for your question, have a great day!!

Anmol Jhamb
Anmol Jhamb
Feb 1, 2023

Thanks for recommending the libraries!! I'll be sure to use them the next time I have to manage a frame. Also, do you have a blog that details all the basic 10 react hooks? Atharva Bhuse

Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 1, 2023

I don't have blog on this topic right now, but I will definitely consider your suggestion. Thanks Anmol

Garv Nanwani
Garv Nanwani
Feb 1, 2023

Can you provide any reference or docs where there is more detail about the {lazy: true} argument in useEffect ?

3 replies
Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 1, 2023

Here you will find details- reactjs.org/docs/hooks-reference.html

Garv Nanwani
Garv Nanwani
Feb 2, 2023

Atharva Bhuse Sorry, But I cant see the mention for lazy loading useEffect, can you please guide me

Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 2, 2023
Jayesh Potlabattini
Jayesh Potlabattini
Feb 4, 2023

Understanding re-renders is always a bit difficult but this article made it really really easy! Thanks a lot Atharva, I learned something new today.

4 replies
Jayesh Potlabattini
Jayesh Potlabattini
Feb 4, 2023

also could you explain a bit more on what can we consider as expensive operation? In your example with useContext you have used setState as an expensive operation. Is that just for example or actual? How do we differentiate between expensive and non-expensive operations?

Jayesh Potlabattini
Jayesh Potlabattini
Feb 5, 2023

Atharva Bhuse thanks for answering my questions Atharva馃憤

Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 5, 2023

Thanks Jayesh

Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 5, 2023

Hello Jayesh, I would be happy to help you with that. Expensive operations are those operations that take longer time to execute such as complicated functions in component, API all with larger amount of data. setState can be an expensive function and we can avoid it by simply batching multiple states with single setState. we can also use useMemo() hook to decrease number of re-renders. Thanks Jayesh for your question, have a great day!!

SAHIL ALI
SAHIL ALI
Feb 7, 2023

Thanks Men such a rich articles

1 reply
Atharva Bhuse
Atharva Bhuse
Author
Feb 7, 2023

Thanks Sahil