Osvaldo Brignoni

152 likes

·

2.1K reads

22 comments

Swati Sarangi
Swati Sarangi
Jan 20, 2023

What a wonderfully written piece of article, so simple yet very powerful. Congratulations on being featured on Hashnode! You deserve all praise for sharing your inspiration and getting the app idea from your daily habit of journalling.

·
·1 reply
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 20, 2023

Wow! Swati Sarangi thank you so much for the kind words!

·
Malavi Pande
Malavi Pande
Jan 21, 2023

Worth read and because of this I cam to know about the 5 min journal It really amazing to make positive life balance I wanna to start this .Thankyou !

·
·1 reply
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 21, 2023

Thank you Malavi Pande! That is awesome!

·
Yashwanth Sai
Yashwanth Sai
Jan 21, 2023

I had an idea somewhat similar to this. But I am very happy to see you make this. Its so good right when u make something which is very helpful to you and everyone around you

·
·1 reply
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 21, 2023

Thanks Yashwanth Sai! I did it originally when I ran out of pages in my journal and to practice Python. Then refactored it to share it on GitHub. It does feel good to share it. It is somewhat customizable. I am thinking of adding localization to it so it can be used in any language. Take it for a spin! Create an issue of you find any bugs! github.com/brignoni/py-five-minute-journal

·
Kaustav Bag
Kaustav Bag
Jan 22, 2023

I used to write down these things back in the day, now I think I have to start again and be consistent with it. Thanks for sharing.

·
·3 replies
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 22, 2023

Thanks Kaustav Bag. I am curious to know how was your experience journaling back then. Did it make a difference in your day? Did it have an impact week by week?

·
Kaustav Bag
Kaustav Bag
Jan 22, 2023

Osvaldo Brignoni I did it regularly only for 2-3 weeks I guess, during pandemic..I used to write few things for 1-2 mins in morning after completing my yoga & in night after meditation. can't say it significantly changed anything but still I could see the logs & understand how my days are passing, how I'm progressing..

Which is much better than now, cuz currently I'm not following any if those things and I can feel the burnout little by little.. I'm sure I follow those regularly it'll have a impact in my life as said in Atomic Habits book.

While writing to you I'm reiterating myself that I NEED TO START YOGA, MEDITATION & JOURNALING again for the betterment. Only Few mins a day.. C'mon I can do this 🙂

·
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 22, 2023

Kaustav Bag

Yes you can! 💪🏽

I picked this because of its simplicity. I wanted to make it easy on myself to commit. I also paired it with 15 minutes of exercise when I wake up. Its not much, but when done consistently every day, it does make a difference for me.

You just reminded me, I use to meditate and I should pick it up again.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

·
M. SAKSHAM
M. SAKSHAM
Jan 24, 2023

As I thought to start the day with some reading, here is this .... which I found interesting and real use case of automating things with Python.

·
·1 reply
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 24, 2023

Thank you M. SAKSHAM! I am glad you found it interesting.

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Jan 24, 2023

Very well written, it was a delight to read it. I loved your idea of building an app when the journal ran out of pages.

I'm a huge advocate of building things that solve our day to day problems. But it has never crossed my mind to build a software equivalent of a physical version of something. It has always been building an app when nothing existed prior to that.

After reading your post, I'll also be watchful of building something as a replacement of something else, even if it's a physical object. Thanks for provoking such ideas.

Let me also see if I can contribute to your git repo in any way.

·
·9 replies
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 24, 2023

Thank you Sambhavi Dhanabalan! I am thrilled that the article is inspiring you.

I am currently making some small improvements to the script and one of them is adding localization. I will include English, Spanish and Portuguese. It is very easy because its just a couple of questions and responses.

Maybe you could add a language. I will let you know when localization is added and then it is just a matter of adding a new file for a language.

Thank you for your willingness to contribute. 🙂

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Jan 24, 2023

Sure. Please do keep me posted when localization is added.

·
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 24, 2023

Sambhavi Dhanabalan I added localization this afternoon. I had never done this in a Python application, so it was nice to learn how to set it up.

There are instructions on the readme.md file. It's super simple.

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Jan 25, 2023

That's so cool and fast Osvaldo Brignoni. Let me fork your repo sometime today or tomorrow, and get started.

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Jan 27, 2023

Osvaldo Brignoni - Just submitted a PR. Added a locale for Swedish.

·
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 27, 2023

Sambhavi Dhanabalan Thank you! I merged it!

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Jan 30, 2023

Osvaldo Brignoni Great! You plan to make a product roadmap? If yes, let me know, I can also share my ideas, and take up a few.

·
Osvaldo Brignoni
Osvaldo Brignoni
Author
·Jan 30, 2023

Hello Sambhavi Dhanabalan

I don't have a roadmap. I do have some ideas I'd like to add.

1. Stats command. After a months of accumulating journals, the command would parse the files and generate some simple statistics. That way you can see what you've had on your mind the most.

2. Post save hook. Allow to configure a command that runs each time a journal is saved. For example: I might want to automatically commit and push a backup of the journals to a private repo, on save. This one is fairly simple to add. I might do this first.

Your ideas are welcome! Please create a Github issue for each idea you have and we can discuss it there.

Thank you!

·
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Sambhavi Dhanabalan
Feb 1, 2023

Osvaldo Brignoni Sure, will do.

·