Rijuth Menon R

60 likes

·

2.8K reads

14 comments

Dominik Keller
Dominik Keller
Oct 15, 2022

Your first paragraph is spot on. When we hire developers, we always like to see two things: their portfolio and their GitHub.

·
·5 replies
Rijuth Menon R
Rijuth Menon R
Author
·Oct 15, 2022

Hey, I'm glad I got that right :) Do you think something like this would help us to stand out from the other applicants?

·
Dumebi Okolo
Dumebi Okolo
Oct 15, 2022

Can you please share what you look out for in their portfolio and github profile? Thank you.

·
Dominik Keller
Dominik Keller
Oct 17, 2022

A lot of developers that I interviewed didn't have any activity on their GitHub. So the first thing I'd look for is simply whether they have a profile and if they are active. In terms of projects, if they are junior devs, I don't even care that much about the type of project that they've completed. Any project that shows a passion for programming will do. Dumebi Okolo

·
Dumebi Okolo
Dumebi Okolo
Oct 18, 2022

Ooh. Alright. Thank you very much. Does having a portfolio website add an advantage as a junior developer? Dominik Keller

·
Dominik Keller
Dominik Keller
Oct 20, 2022
·
Snehal Jayachander
Snehal Jayachander
Oct 13, 2022

This is some really cool stuff yahoo!!!

·
·1 reply
Rijuth Menon R
Rijuth Menon R
Author
·Oct 15, 2022

Hey! Thank you so much for the support :)

·
Tanmay Sarkar
Tanmay Sarkar
Oct 14, 2022

It is not working on my GitHub Android app. I have created an issue tapping through the emojis.

·
·1 reply
Rijuth Menon R
Rijuth Menon R
Author
·Oct 14, 2022

Hey! Since the emojis are essentially links that automatically fill the Issue title, I'm not sure if the app will recognize them. You can still create an issue, make sure it begins with rps|{move} and the move is valid!

·
Tanmay Sarkar
Tanmay Sarkar
Oct 14, 2022

I played. I thought the readme section would become interactive.

·
·1 reply
Rijuth Menon R
Rijuth Menon R
Author
·Oct 14, 2022

You can make it kinda "interactive". People have built a chess game and I've built a mastermind game on my GitHub Profile as well. The catch is that, since we're relying on GitHub Actions to execute your script, you'd have to wait for about 30s to see any changes on your readme :)

·
Dumebi Okolo
Dumebi Okolo
Oct 15, 2022

Absolutely handy!

·
Alessandro
Alessandro
Oct 16, 2022

Would it not be better to actually compile a demo/game web enabled into your README. I get the clever use of the Actions for a turn based style comment like game... but if someone is judging my development experience and work based on this, I almost would not want to work for them. Why? Well, it would make me think that they want to hire someone like themselves and usually they come off as stuck up and self absorbed managers/developers/ux/tech leads. The use of actions is clever, but I would not put it as something that would make me stand out. If anything the current trend seems to want Test Driven Development (TDD), and I do think that makes sense with the churn rate in software. I did like the article!

·