Sign in
Edmond Hui

32 comments

Kody Horiuchi
Kody Horiuchi
Jul 29, 2022

Love the journey. It's how we have some of the greatest people in the field.

·
Rhanzel
Rhanzel
Jul 29, 2022

Inspiring ❤️‍🔥

·
Peter C. Okereke
Peter C. Okereke
Jul 30, 2022

Amazing story, Edmond. Nice to know someone who learnt coding in 3 months, especially from a non-tech background and landed an entry level role. I'm learning CSS now. Any advice?

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Jul 31, 2022

Thank you for reading Peter. I would suggest taking a look at freecodecamp.org, theodinproject.com, and open.appacademy.io. After I graduated from App Academy they made the whole curriculum free for everyone online. This is the same exact program I had to pay around ~$30,000 for, FREE, for anyone who is willing to take the effort to go through it themselves. Get some friends to keep you accountable to start grinding!

·
Lisha Zeng
Lisha Zeng
Jul 29, 2022

Very inspirational!

·
Rafael B. Pires
Rafael B. Pires
Jul 29, 2022

Thanks for sharing your journey, very inspiring indeed! ✨ Looking forward for your next article

·
·2 replies
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Jul 29, 2022

Thank you keep your eyes peeled for new articles! I'm going to be writing an article about my honest thoughts around coding bootcamps in 2022 (pros and cons), an article explaining functional programming, and an article about learning/teaching functional programming.

·
Rafael B. Pires
Rafael B. Pires
Jul 29, 2022

Great choice of topics!! Edmond Hui

·
Eniola Bakare
Eniola Bakare
Jul 29, 2022

Show up! Well done, Edmond.

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Jul 29, 2022

That's all you need to do! Never give up and keep showing up. ✌️

·
Thiago Alves
Thiago Alves
Jul 30, 2022

Awesome journey! Keep learning, that’s the best thing anyone can do to stop the imposter syndrome.

·
Chijioke Chika
Chijioke Chika
Jul 30, 2022

Well articulated

·
Adaeze Emejor
Adaeze Emejor
Jul 30, 2022

Thank you for sharing your story Edmond. I'm also transitioning into tech while being a medical student, and I can freely say that it's really taking a toll on me. All the same, I've made up my mind to show up every day.

·
Kunal Keshan
Kunal Keshan
Jul 31, 2022

You took your leap of faith! Really inspiring share, buddy!

·
Seare Hagos
Seare Hagos
Jul 31, 2022

Thank You for this great piece, it helped me a lot.

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Jul 31, 2022

Thank you for reading Seare Hagos!

·
Onyewuchi Emeka
Onyewuchi Emeka
Aug 3, 2022

Nice article mate 👍🏽👍🏽

·
David Paredes
David Paredes
Aug 3, 2022

Wow, this is amazing, i've just subscribed to open.appacademy.io, there is a lot of material there, so far im just interested in python section, do you think i can only take the python syllabus? or you recommend me take the whole program?

Regards and thanks for sharing this valuable information with us.

·
·2 replies
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Aug 4, 2022

Thanks for reading David. There is definitely more information than you need on there and you don't need to finish every single lecture. I finished the full stack track and made it through part of the Python course. In my opinion, I think finishing any track and then applying and doing leetcode would be the fastest way to land a job.

·
David Paredes
David Paredes
Aug 4, 2022

Edmond Hui Thanks, i already registered on the open course. Right now starting with javascript, so far so good, Thanks, this post worth a million dollars.

·
Dhruv trivedi
Dhruv trivedi
Aug 4, 2022

Thanks for sharing your journey, it's really inspirational. Looking forward to your new upcoming articles!

·
Jamaal Barker
Jamaal Barker
Aug 4, 2022

Congratulations Edmond, on becoming a software engineer. These type of stories get me excited. I'm currently learning JavaScript, and I been struggling but reading your story, just lets me know not to give up!! Thank you again! Looking forward to your next post, have a good one!!

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Aug 4, 2022

My next article goes through the opportunity costs of learning how to code and helps people decide whether they should self-study, join a bootcamp, or not make the leap at all. Hopefully, it will help you out when I publish it. Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it. 🙏

·
AKASH
AKASH
Aug 5, 2022

Inspirational Journey Edmond Hui! feels great to read your article as I'm a recent graduate from mechanical engineering and aspiring to become a software engineer.

·
huseyink
huseyink
Aug 7, 2022

Hi,what about Mern stack jobs in New York ?

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Aug 7, 2022

In my opinion, you should have no problem finding job opportunities using the MERN stack in NY. When I was applying most jobs required at least some part of the MERN stack. I would also learn some TypeScript as well because of its growing popularity.

·
John Areola
John Areola
Aug 8, 2022

Great article Edmond. I'm currently learning CSS and JavaScript. You mentioned something about mentorship buh there's no way to message you here on hashnode

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Aug 16, 2022
·
Andrew Baisden
Andrew Baisden
Aug 8, 2022

So inspiring you are on a great journey Edmond Hui.

·
skelter
skelter
Aug 4, 2022

Kudos for the effort and i'm glad you got to where you wanted to be.

we learned everything necessary to become software engineers.

Trust me, 3 months is an absolute minuscule time interval to learn everything a software engineer needs to know. A system with a relational database with 4NF applied, using a proper load balancer behind a proxy, with code developed through a clean code architecture all the while applying a TDD methodology, making use of containerisation tech stack, supported by a nice automated horizontal scaling arch, having a fail-safe server redundancy, with decent CD/CI pipelines set up going through unit and integration tests, which for today's standards is the BASIC setup, might not be enough to have 3 months and call yourself an engineer. But then again, what is an engineer? Why people use the term at all? Formal engineers complain with reasons to do so. It trivialises its meaning.

·
·1 reply
Edmond Hui
Edmond Hui
Author
·Aug 7, 2022

Thank you for reading and your comment. In my most recent article I address some of your points and I think you're completely correct. Please give it a read!

blog.edmondhui.com/self-study-or-coding-bo…

·
Tifu Kelison
Tifu Kelison
Sep 25, 2022

Hello there, your story is so inspiring. It's amazing how in 3 months, you were able to get a software engineering job which is actually my dream. If I study software engineering in the University, is that enough to get a job out there?

·