Mike Chen

223 likes

·

3.8K reads

29 comments

Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Apr 19, 2022

Love this writeup, Mike! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Asking good questions is truly a skill but it definitely gets better with time/practice. Looking forward to more posts from you!!

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 22, 2022

Thank you Lyn! You already ask such good questions, I can tell it's something you've thought through before. Appreciate you reading!

·
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Apr 19, 2022

Good to see you here! Nice article.

Effective questions ➡️ effective answers ➡️ effective developers.

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 22, 2022

Thanks for the warm welcome from a seasoned pro in this space, Curtis! Doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd feel this way about effective communication!

·
Sylvia F.
Sylvia F.
Apr 19, 2022

Great informative article!! Love the scenarios and examples, this has definitely given me insight on how to improve my communication skills.

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 22, 2022

Thanks Sylvia, I hope it helps you as you start your first internship!!

·
Jacob Good
Jacob Good
Apr 20, 2022

I really enjoyed the thoroughness of this article Mike. I learn best with explanations, bad examples, and good examples and you nailed all three. The XY Problem is also something I'll be teaching my class tomorrow to expose them (and cement my knowledge), so thanks for a great time-filler!

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 22, 2022

Thanks a lot Jacob! I struggle most with coming up with examples so I'm happy these were helpful!

·
Yuri
Yuri
Apr 20, 2022

Asking questions is such a crucial part of learning and growing! The examples really hit the nail on the head, Mike. Also congrats on your first post! Will be looking forward to your content! :]

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 23, 2022

That means a lot coming from you Yuri, thanks for reading!

·
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Apr 20, 2022

Congrats on your first article Mike Chen!

Great work

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 22, 2022

Thank you for the warm welcome Eleftheria!

·
Peter Gichia
Peter Gichia
Apr 20, 2022

A very informative piece. I think this will be of much help to me and others getting into software.

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 22, 2022

I'm glad it was helpful, Peter! Thanks for reading!

·
Vinyl Davyl
Vinyl Davyl
Apr 20, 2022

Elite write-up ✨✨

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 23, 2022

Thank you Okononfua!

·
thegreytangent
thegreytangent
Apr 20, 2022

Nice article, I remember when I started in the industry. This is how I ask a question. 😂😂

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 23, 2022

Agreed, it's hard to learn this stuff when you're just starting out!

·
Dave Guymon
Dave Guymon
Apr 20, 2022

Wonderful article, Mike! You provided great value by offering examples for each points of advice. I've had similar conversations with new engineers on my own team. I am going to share a link to this post with them as a "second coat of paint" for learning the importance and strategy of asking good questions. 👏

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 23, 2022

Thanks a lot Dave! I hope it'll be helpful to your team too!

·
Victor Eke
Victor Eke
Apr 21, 2022

Every junior developer deserves to read this article. Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece Mike Chen 🔥

·
·1 reply
Ben Laden
Ben Laden
Apr 21, 2022

fadjshfsdghfhsdjikghbsdgsdgsd

·
Kaushal Joshi
Kaushal Joshi
Apr 24, 2022

This is really a great article, Mike Chen. Reminded me of a website called dontasktoask.com. But your version seems more detailed and well explained!

·
·1 reply
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 28, 2022

Thanks Kaushal! Also in a similar vein: nohello.com

Reducing the amount of roundtrips required to address an issue is such a key principle in effective async communication. Thanks for sharing!

·
Joel Pickin
Joel Pickin
Apr 20, 2022

What a fantastic piece Mike! This article is going to help so many people build their confidence with asking questions!

·
·2 replies
Ben Laden
Ben Laden
Apr 21, 2022

fdslkfdjsfgnsdkjghnsdkjgsdgsd

·
Mike Chen
Mike Chen
Author
·Apr 23, 2022

Thanks so much Joel, great to see you on here too, looking forward to seeing more of your writing!

·
CyberFreak999
CyberFreak999
Apr 30, 2022

Nice

·
Tanish Shrivastava
Tanish Shrivastava
Aug 13, 2022

This reminds me of Eric S. Raymond document about asking questions. That one was much longer, but this one is also good. If anything, I think in the current times, this might work better.

I do think though that it will take some time to adapt these habits. Thanks for this wonderful article, Mike.

·