Lyn Kim (she/her)

246 likes

·

3.3K reads

23 comments

Marisa Brantley
Marisa Brantley
Mar 31, 2022

This is absolutely fantastic, Lyn! Such a clear, thorough, and honest guide of your bootcamp experience. Thank you for sharing such valuable information! Any employer would be lucky to have you. 💪

·
·1 reply
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Author
·Apr 1, 2022

My pleasure, Marisa! You always show up to support me on all different platforms and I'm so grateful!🥰💛 Can't wait to get my new career started soon so I can write about my experience as a new dev!

·
Bruce Wells
Bruce Wells
Mar 31, 2022

Excellent article. After reviewing your code and a Zoom call, I would probably hire you at the end of the call. Exactly what people are looking for.

Also, welcome to development. It can be very hard to do and not everyone can. You did! But you need to make time for yourself and not be pushed around by your employer. Take the time you need to keep yourself healthy both mentally and physically. You first, family next, work third. If a company won't allow you that, look elsewhere.

Good luck in software development, but I don't think you will need any!

·
·1 reply
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Author
·Apr 2, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind words, Bruce! I've been able to take a few weeks to recharge since graduating and feeling well-rested now! Got to spend time with my family as well and it's been so wonderful🤗 I am definitely hoping to find an opportunity where I can put my health and family above anything else!

·
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Mar 31, 2022

Great guide Lyn Kim, thanks for sharing these insights with us! ✨

·
·1 reply
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Author
·Apr 1, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to read this long write-up, Eleftheria!😆💛 Always enjoy sharing my experiences here on Hashnode!

·
Carlos Powell
Carlos Powell
Mar 31, 2022

Amazing write-up, Lyn Kim. Keep sharing more such content.

·
·1 reply
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Author
·Apr 1, 2022

Thank you, Carlos! I'm slowly discovering my joy in writing and look forward to sharing more stories soon!

·
Kiran Kanakadandi
Kiran Kanakadandi
Mar 31, 2022

Thank you for this excellent write-up! I did not know enough about how bootcamps are structured and I'm now impressed with the comprehensive structure.

Check out thehiveindex.com -- an online directory of online communities (often Slack, Discord), from where you can hopefully find dev-centric ones too; typically each of them has a Jobs channel.

Good luck with your job search!

·
·1 reply
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Author
·Apr 1, 2022

Thank you so much for your feedback, Kiran! Yes, I completely agree with you about how well my camp was structured! I feel fortunate to have been able to find such a place so close to where I live. Feeling well-prepared for my job search phase!🥳

·
Diego Ballesteros (Relatable Code)
Diego Ballesteros (Relatable Code)
Mar 31, 2022

Great write-up. I feel like the boot camp experience can be so varied. Glad to hear yours, although difficult, ends on an optimistic note.

I'm sure you'll have a great career as a software engineer.

·
·1 reply
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Lyn Kim (she/her)
Author
·Apr 2, 2022

Thank you so much for stopping by to read my story, Diego! Yes, it was a tough 4 months but I'm incredibly happy with the amount of learning I was able to accomplish in such a short timeframe!🤓

·
Ale Thomas
Ale Thomas
Mar 31, 2022

This was so insightful, Lyn! I also think I learn better in a classroom environment and joining an intermediate/advanced bootcamp or enroll in a masters degree in CS is something that's been looming in the back of my head since last year. I love learning on my own, but like you say, I feel like I go everywhere and miss out on so many things. Having a structured curriculum has so many perks.

I'm so happy for you and admire you so much for getting through this then sticking with all the good things you got out of it - it was certainly a time for sowing and put it all in, your time to reap is coming!!! I can't wait to see where you go, they'll be so lucky to have you!

·
Njong Emy
Njong Emy
Mar 31, 2022

Thank you for sharing, Kim. Both the upsides and the downsides, your experience, and your goals for the future. I wish you lots of luck as you delve into the job market :)

·
Markus Eicher
Markus Eicher
Mar 31, 2022

Fantastic piece, Lyn! 👍

A must-read for all who are thinking about participating in a coding bootcamp. I wish you all the best in your job search. I'm sure it will not take long, till you get hired. Thanks for sharing your experience!

·
TomTom Developers
TomTom Developers
Mar 31, 2022

Great article!

·
Hanh Hoang
Hanh Hoang
Apr 1, 2022

Thanks for writing such insightful and detailed review about your coding bootcamp. I also think for career changers, we need a structured curriculum and discipline to follow it and all the help we can get for sparring and career orientation. Good luck!

·
PandMan
PandMan
Apr 1, 2022

This is the kind of experience I want to have someday

·
RongJie
RongJie
Apr 2, 2022

I came out of the training class, too

·
Gopi Gorantala
Gopi Gorantala
Apr 2, 2022

Nice article Lyn Kim!! Absolutely loved reading it. 🤩

·
Tanish Shrivastava
Tanish Shrivastava
Jun 12, 2022

I'm opposed to joining a bootcamp, but I'm glad you wrote this article all the same.

Why am I opposed to them you might ask? (You didn't but I'm going to tell you anyway, pretending you asked.)

First, I had a really bad experience with instructors previously.

Second, I'm blind. And the bootcamp can't adapt to my needs. They often focus heavily on front end, while as a blind guy, I can only go to the back end.

Third, I don't have enough money to pay for that either.

That, and I prefer to learn on my own. Having said that, I will never say that my path is right. If anything, I'm likely to refer anyone who is thinking to join a bootcamp to your article, since you provided so much info. That should help them a lot.

Thanks for a wonderful article, Lyn.

·
salle brian
salle brian
Apr 25, 2023

Thanks very much for this well written article. Can you please inform us on how to search for alumni of a particular program via LinkedIn?

·