122 likes

ยท

1.6K reads

36 comments

Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 26, 2022

My first ever blog post. Please comment and let me know what you think!

ยท
ยท2 replies
Shawn Axsom
Shawn Axsom
Mar 26, 2022

"To land your first job in tech, your next, and the one after that embrace your inner imposter."

Besides the fact that people are competing with other imposters entry-level, I think you make a great point about subsequent jobs.

I wouldn't be where I am today if I always took jobs (or stayed at one) where I felt most in my comfort zone.

You have to stretch yourself to put yourself in the right opportunities with the best career trajectory.

ยท
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 26, 2022

Shawn Axsom If we're trying to grow and push ourselves, and we're comfortable...we're doing something wrong. We're built to adapt, and in order for us to continue to adapt, we need to live uncomfortably.

ยท
Kory Kaai
Kory Kaai
Mar 26, 2022

"BECOME AN IMPOSTER" I love that one! What is fear of being an imposter? Could it be the fear of the unknown? Of course, it is! I think the reason we feel like an imposter among others is that we sometimes doubt our skills and try to compare ourselves to others- asking questions like: "can I do that?" or "do I know a certain programming language?" I try to focus on constantly learning as much as I can, that way I'm confident when problems present themselves through interviews, peer review or even working with others on open source projects. I could be wrong, but I think building projects and sharing them is a great way to build confidence. I love reading blog posts about the experiences of others in the same space. It shows me that I'm not alone on my journey.

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 26, 2022

We 100% aren't, and it's crazy important to embrace that. It's ok that we don't know every method to every framework and tool. That's such an unreal expectation for us to set on ourselves. Know yourself, know what you need to work on to improve, then do the work.

ยท
Ryan Els
Ryan Els
Mar 27, 2022

Good advice. I am still struggling to land my first job. I have been coding for over 7000 hours to date. And I continue to code consistently everyday for an average of 6 hours. I fume when I am told I don't have experience. I have more experience than most junior devs out there currently working. So I will have to fake my "work experience" to get a job because I have the skills to back it up. Not exactly being an imposter. Just giving them what they want so I can let my skills do the talking.

ยท
ยท3 replies
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 27, 2022

I'd recommend going on Upwork, talking to friends and family, look up small businesses in your area that could use your skills.

Ie. Google businesses in your area could use a significant remodeling in their online presence. Show up and tell them how much you love them for XYZ and how you noticed their site needed some help. Show them what you built and bless them with it. If they say no, go to a different business changing the boiler plate's images and text you created.

In return, what you ask is a review on Upwork, a check on your site, whatever. Get it hooked up to their existing domain and slap it to your portfolio. Boom, you have experience with a live active business. Rinse and repeat, and possibly start charging....you'll be hired in no time.

In the interview, you'll be able to speak about how you built your book of business.

That'll show employers you have technical skills and the soft skills to land clients. As you start gaining more, now start charging. But you need reviews and people that can advocate on your behalf. In life, we gotta give before we can take.

I hope this helps Ryan Els. Keep me updated on Twitter @RAllanVila

ยท
Ryan Els
Ryan Els
Mar 27, 2022

Allan Vila Thank you. Your advice is encouraging and correct. I did do some of what you said. I made this site for a local business about a year and a half ago (for free): blougans.com What do you think? Will you vouch for me on Upwork? I am registered on Upwork.

ยท
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 27, 2022

Ryan Els I'd recommend checking out Dribbble.com. I've directed it to the Bed and Breakfast web designs and will go from there.

Get a free account there, and you have access to TONS of designs that you can replicate. Replicate these designs and get them in front of businesses and recruiters.

Do as many for free until you get a job. I know it sucks working for free, but you're learning for free right now.

You'll learn by building, getting out there for free will give you clients who love your work, giving the references that will provide you with the right to negotiate to price later as your book increases and connections grow.

ยท
Rohit Purkait
Rohit Purkait
Mar 28, 2022

I totally relate to your post. Because I got my first internship by being a good imposter myself.

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 28, 2022

I love this. You have to believe in yourself and know your worth. The trick is figuring out how to display it to your target audience: recruiters and hiring managers.

Put yourself out there to show people what you've done and are currently doing!

ยท
Benjamin Semah
Benjamin Semah
Mar 28, 2022

This was a good read. Being consistent when learning to code is non negotiable. Thanks for sharing your experience.

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 28, 2022

100%! Appreciate the kind words. It's like anything in life. If you don't practice, we'll forget. ESPECIALLY CODE!

ยท
Diseyi Philomena
Diseyi Philomena
Mar 29, 2022

At the end of the day, ain't we all imposters. I'll embrace my imposter syndrome and shoe up, strong everyday! This article was uplifting

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 29, 2022

Glad it could lift you up!

ยท
Jennifer Lopez
Jennifer Lopez
Mar 26, 2022

Had no idea what to expect here. Great setup and execution lol. Very useful advice

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 26, 2022

Glad I could add value to your day ๐Ÿ˜Š

ยท
James Q Quick
James Q Quick
Mar 27, 2022

Love it. Very well done and looking to many more :)

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 27, 2022

I'll be slinging em!

ยท
Igwe David micheal
Igwe David micheal
Mar 28, 2022

I've been doing this since I started coding but I keep doubting myself and when some problems arise I get totally confused until I put on my head phones and listen to some cool music then I'll start working and get on the right track and frame of mind... Great advice ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘Œ

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 28, 2022

"Every time I thought I was being rejected for something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better." -Dr. Steve Maraboli

Do the work, show the work, and trust the process, my friend! With each no, that's one step closer to your YES!

ยท
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Mar 28, 2022

You have some great points Allan Vila ๐Ÿ˜…!

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 28, 2022

Glad it added value to your day!

ยท
Priyanshu Kumawat
Priyanshu Kumawat
Mar 28, 2022

Loved this Allan Vila. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

You have added some Great Points though! ๐Ÿป

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 28, 2022

Thanks for the kind words Priyanshu Kumawat!

ยท
Jordyn Mancini
Jordyn Mancini
Mar 28, 2022

This is some really great motivation!! As a new developer, seeing โ€œ2+ years experienceโ€ in every job application can feel really defeating - this is a great reminder that experience can come in many different forms and time frames.

Next time Iโ€™m applying for a role and Iโ€™m not sure if I stack up, Iโ€™ll remember to โ€œbe an imposter!โ€

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 28, 2022

Embrace your inner imposter! Do the work, trust the processes, and the rewards will follow. Believing in yourself is the first step!

ยท
Orion Palmer
Orion Palmer
Mar 28, 2022

The title says it all. You have to embrace what you are becoming and not doubt yourself regardless of how you initially feel. If you feel like an imposter then change the narrative, you are a learner who is applying what they know.

Great article!

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทApr 3, 2022

Thank you so much for the love! In programming, it's impossible for us to know everything as new tech and tools are made daily.

We have to be professional learners. Since we're always learning it may feel like we don't know something. A great programmer can always figure out a way.

ยท
Felix P
Felix P
Mar 29, 2022

Whew! I can very much relate to this post. About time I embraced my inner imposter. But you just made the other imposters Iโ€™m competing with know about this secretโ€ฆjk ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. Great write up! ๐Ÿ’ฏ

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 29, 2022

Lol true. ๐Ÿ˜…

Competition is healthy though It makes us grow by pushing ourselves to be better than the next guy! Embrace your imposter and murder that portfolio Felix!

ยท
Zen Voltron
Zen Voltron
Mar 30, 2022

You gotta have the confidence to back up whatever you say on a resume. Being in sales, so long as I can make the person asking the questions laugh or change the subject when I'm asked a question I don't have the answer to that's based off my resume, I consider that a demonstration of my abilities and that's a win and a confidence booster. For coders, it might be a little tougher finding the grey area between 1's & 0's, but I would imagine knowing processes in the industry might provide a great way out of a pickle during an interview.

Readers This guy Allen has never stopped impressing me since we worked together many years ago. When I read you self taught an entirely new profession, I instantly smiled and said "I know that guy". I'm beyond impressed my dude! You've earned your success and that's something to admire. Cheers to your future and finding happiness in whatever you do!!

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทMar 30, 2022

Wow, 1000% spot on! I immensely appreciate the kind words. DM me on Twitter @Rallanvila!

ยท
Bayo herbert
Bayo herbert
Apr 1, 2022

Great article...... i only code for 1-2 hours but after reading this article i think i am going to trying doing 5-6 hours each night and see how it goes

ยท
ยท1 reply
Allan Vila
Allan Vila
Author
ยทApr 1, 2022

Build something fun but with purpose. Make sure itโ€™s teaching you something new by going deeper in the language youโ€™re writing in or utilizing a new tool ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

ยท