Curtis Einsmann

326 likes

·

10.6K reads

29 comments

Charles
Charles
Mar 24, 2022

Hey Curtis! Great article, I’m currently a comp Sci student and this was very insightful for lies ahead. Thank you very much!

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 24, 2022

Hi Charles, thanks for taking the time to read! Best of luck with your remaining courses.

·
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Mar 25, 2022

This is so relatable! (ok, not the part of being an engineer at AWS... but the mistakes😊).

Thank you Curtis Einsmann.

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 25, 2022

In mentoring junior engineers, I came to realize how common some of these are. Thanks for reading!

·
Victor Eke
Victor Eke
Mar 26, 2022

I totally relate with the mistake of competition, and you're definitely right, genuinely rooting for others goes a long way to fight that urge and help achieve a better relationship with your peers.

Thanks for sharing Curtis Einsmann 🤍

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 26, 2022

Thanks for reading, Victor!

·
Ali Hasan
Ali Hasan
Mar 26, 2022

I am at the beginning of my journey and these points are like a treasure, it is a blessing when you can learn from others and embrace their success. Highly appreciate that man.

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 27, 2022

💯 Thanks for reading!

·
Alvin Endratno
Alvin Endratno
Mar 27, 2022

Have a similar experience here! Nice to know that I'm not alone 😄

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 27, 2022

😄

·
Adib Hasib
Adib Hasib
Mar 28, 2022

Hey Curtis! Great Post. Being in a junior position right now, your post may help me to improve my work life relationships and become a better human overall.

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 28, 2022

Great to hear, Adib! Best of luck putting the insights into practice.

·
Jagruti Tiwari
Jagruti Tiwari
Mar 31, 2022

I made a few of these mistakes. You spoke my heart. Thank you for writing this.

·
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Apr 1, 2022

Always a pleasure reading your posts and ideas, Curtis! You're incredible to be so vulnerable about your mistakes here and sharing how you overcame them. Also, what a lovely personal touch with your photo at the end of this post!! <3

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Apr 1, 2022

Thanks for reading, Annie! Gotta show people who I am. 😄

·
Vic Kalchev
Vic Kalchev
Apr 2, 2022

Great article, Curtis. Coming from a traditional finance career I made the same mistakes - except I didn't work with code but Excel and financial models. The mentality though was the same.

·
The Overaged Developer
The Overaged Developer
Apr 4, 2022

Great article, Curtis! That "its not my fault" part sounded very familiar. Definitely not a good attitude to have, especially in a team setting.

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Apr 5, 2022

Thank you!

·
HariHaran
HariHaran
Apr 4, 2022

definitely an awesome article! I'm at Amazon rn (interning since Jan) and Point #4 hit home (I listen (not understand) my teammates's updates in Standup)..gotta nip this bad habit in the bud :P

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Apr 5, 2022

This one is extremely common among early-career developers. Best of luck at Amazon, and improving on your listening skills!

·
Francis Faniku
Francis Faniku
Apr 8, 2022

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's educating.

·
Avery Snead
Avery Snead
Mar 28, 2022

We have been utilizing this for half a month at this point and it is by all accounts going pleasantly.

·
providence Ifeosame
providence Ifeosame
Mar 31, 2022

Hey Curtis, please could u list out the technical skills that were required for u to get the software development engineer role at AWS. would really appreciate it.. thanks.

·
·3 replies
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 31, 2022

Not an exhaustive list, but:

• Data Structures and Algorithms
  • Problem solving
  • Writing logical and maintainable code
  • Handling ambiguity
  • System Design (for mid-level and/or senior roles)
·
providence Ifeosame
providence Ifeosame
Mar 31, 2022

Curtis Einsmann Great Thanks... But what about in terms of programming Languages and frameworks.

which programming languages and frameworks did u need and where u always using for the role?

And could you please recommend resources to Learn everything about Data Structures and Algorithms maybe the ones that you personally used.

Would really really appreciate your reply .. thanks.

·
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Mar 31, 2022

providence Ifeosame You can use any programming language you want in the interviews. Knowledge of AWS helps, but isn't required. The book Cracking the Coding Interview is a great resource.

·
Dave Rogers
Dave Rogers
Mar 31, 2022

definitely true. being a senior dev at this point, i look back and think about the devs who mentored me (which i didn't think of as mentoring at the time, like you pointed out i was trying to make my mark haha) and i'm like "i GET IT!" i see the same mistakes i made (over-engineering solutions, tightly coupling my use case to a proposed solution, trying to write code for a future case that likely will never appear or at least how i think it will, overdoing refactors, etc.) and i try to impart to young devs that they're like baby scorpions putting the stinger to everything in front of them when most things can be done simpler which will make their lives (and the lives of their teammates) so much easier down the road. i also try to help them with growing their career (i was also uncomfortable with these discussions, and thought i'd PROVE why i should get paid as much as my colleagues but the truth is, once you take a reduced rate it's locked in with 95% of employers) and understanding work/life balance more than i did in my 20s. sure, your current task might be "high priority" but there's one right after that, and right after that; you'll never get through all the high priority tasks and be able to relax, so learn how to prioritize yourself and your own health first because most employers are happy to let you work yourself to death for what is very likely an under-salaried workload.

·
Ankit Kumar Sharma
Ankit Kumar Sharma
Apr 1, 2022

Hi Curtis Einsmann. Nice article and very insightful as well as relatable. Also, I am unable to get the crux of the 2 point. Can you please elaborate on the same?

It would be extremely helpful for me. Thanks.

·
·1 reply
Curtis Einsmann
Curtis Einsmann
Author
·Apr 1, 2022

Hi Ankit, thanks for reading. I was overly focused on looking better than my peers to further my career, instead of focusing on my own abilities and skills that would grow my career.

One example would be how I approached code reviews. I was nitpicking on small things like style or naming, without giving substantial feedback. My comments tended to be superficial. I wanted to be seen as a mentor, but neglected providing insight that would actually make me a valuable mentor.

Hope that clarifies things a bit!

·