Ronald Blüthl

423 likes

·

179.8K reads

44 comments

LE Xie
LE Xie
Sep 5, 2022

This can be a great and very helpful checklist! Can I have you permission to translate this article into Chinese and put in my Wechat official account?Please let me know if this is ok.

·
·3 replies
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Sep 6, 2022

Hey LE Xie! I love that you're considering translating my article into Chinese – I'd be more than happy. ❤️‍🔥 Please just make sure to attribute my original article and link back to my blog. Let me know once you publish it – looking really forward. :)

·
LE Xie
LE Xie
Sep 7, 2022

Thank you for your permission! Of course, your blog and original article will be put into Chinese translations. Here is the article url. mp.weixin.qq.com/s/v6BO_E8e-oJRazuYEEpksA

·
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Sep 21, 2022

LE Xie awesome, thanks so much for translating the post! 🥳

·
Christos Matskas
Christos Matskas
Mar 11, 2022
  • API keys can be easily stolen and distributed. You should use OAuth2 for securing access to your api endpoints
  • expanding objects can lead to security issues. Attackers can run queries that take up significant system resources. Such a query can disrupt your service. Attackers can access sensitive information from a clever join.

Otherwise, nice blog post

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 12, 2022

Thank you for your feedback Christos Matskas!

I'm not sure if I agree whether expanding resources can lead to security issues. It's typically a responsibility of the API not to disclose any sensitive information from the database. If you're not transferring database objects directly (which you probably shouldn't), I don't see a big problem.

What do you think?

·
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Mar 7, 2022

Awesome tips Ronald! Bookmarking this one for when I get deeper into the BE and have to think more seriously about API design!

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 7, 2022

Thank you Annie 🦄⚡! I'm glad you found this post useful. 🙂

·
Ezequiel E. Tejada
Ezequiel E. Tejada
Mar 7, 2022

Great Article, so many things I didn't know.

Thank you!

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 7, 2022

Thanks Ezequiel E. Tejada! Happy to help. 🤗

·
Ronald
Ronald
Mar 7, 2022

Great tips ! Regards

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 7, 2022

Thank you Ronald. PS: Great name! 😉

·
Yannick Mougin
Yannick Mougin
Mar 8, 2022

This is really a good and useful article, everyone should read this before creating an API! Congrats 🎉

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 8, 2022

Thank you for your kind words, Yannick. 🤗

·
Jackson Lee
Jackson Lee
Mar 9, 2022

Great Tips! I just finished building a small API for a project, but I missed something as small as a health check, which looking at it further, is super important for this API. Awesome

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 10, 2022

Thank you so much, Jackson Lee! 🤗 I appreciate the kind words and I'm happy you could use some of the tips for your project. If you have any questions, just let me know.

·
Rohan Ankarigari Boda
Rohan Ankarigari Boda
Mar 12, 2022

This is a nice list! I have found that a good number of these points are covered by Microsoft’s OData standard (which hasn’t caught on in circles beyond Microsoft’s sphere of influence).

·
·2 replies
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 12, 2022

Thank you Rohan Ankarigari Boda. You are right, OData already covers some of these. Although I have a feeling that OData never really got to the point where it would make sense for me to support it.

Have you ever implemented OData?

·
Rohan Ankarigari Boda
Rohan Ankarigari Boda
Mar 12, 2022

Ronald Blüthl Yes, I have implemented OData APIs as part of my work on Microsoft’s Graph API. The Microsoft Graph API platform is perhaps the largest OData based set of APIs.

The biggest challenge I faced was implementing OData APIs for data and contracts which didn’t exactly fit into the OData way of things. Another challenge was the fact that the OData libs are not ready for a microservices world (IMO) where data resides in some service and data is surfaced by another service.

In my personal projects I have been lucky not to use OData.

·
Simon Espigolé
Simon Espigolé
Mar 12, 2022

Great article !

Do you have any recommandations on how to implement resource expansions/field selection with Sprint Boot ? I took a look at github.com/Cosium/spring-data-jpa-entity-g… which provides a way to fetch relationships at runtime but is only half of the problem.

·
·2 replies
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 12, 2022

Hey Simon Espigolé, happy you liked my post. I'm not familiar with Spring Boot, but the principle is usually the same. If you're using an OR mapper (such as Prisma for example), you can "include" or "expand" related entities and load them from the database in one go.

The flow would roughly look like this:

• API accepts an expand parameter for GET requests
  • The expand parameter is interpreted and passed to the OR mapper
  • Entities are loaded from the database and passed back as response

Check out the Prisma documentation for more details: prisma.io/docs/concepts/components/prisma-…

If you have any questions, just let me know.

·
Simon Espigolé
Simon Espigolé
Mar 14, 2022

Thanks for your answser Ronald Blüthl. I'm familiar with the concept of resource expansion and how to do it but I'm struggling with the implementation with Spring Boot/Hibernate, especially with lazy-loaded entities (where I only want to join the tables that the client has requested via ?expand=).

Anyway, thanks for the link to Prisma, I didn't know this ORM. Have a nice day !

·
Xuan Nguyen
Xuan Nguyen
Mar 14, 2022

Great article. Saved it for my future projects. Thank you!

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 14, 2022

Glad you liked it, Xuan Nguyen! Thanks for reading. :)

·
Robert Moskal
Robert Moskal
Mar 18, 2022

All reasonable suggestions except the versioning bit. Perhaps every long while you replace one api with another. In that case you either keep supporting to old one or force clients to move to the new one.

But while you have an api you have to keep your interfaces constant, support all the old signatures and add new ones as necessary.

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 21, 2022

Thanks for your feedback, Robert!

Versioning could be a separate topic in itself I guess. As aways, there are many approaches I'd say. :)

·
Saikat Roy
Saikat Roy
Mar 21, 2022

A valuable checklist to follow. Really helpful content man.

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 21, 2022

That's awesome to hear, Saikat! Glad you enjoyed the post.

·
Chinwendu Enyinna
Chinwendu Enyinna
Mar 21, 2022

Thank you, Ronald, for sharing. Definitely bookmarking this!

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 21, 2022

Happy to help, Chinwendu. :) Thanks for your valuable feedback, I appreciate it.

·
Héctor Ramírez
Héctor Ramírez
Mar 21, 2022

Useful!

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 21, 2022

Thank you very much, Héctor!

·
Afdallah wahyu arafat
Afdallah wahyu arafat
Mar 23, 2022

Great article Ronald!. Is there any free public API out there that you think that has a good design? I need it as a reference. Many thanks

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 23, 2022

Thank you, Afdallah! 🥳 I‘m thinking about putting together a reference implementation myself, but in the meantime I recommend you to look at Stripe‘s API, which is probably the best one I‘ve worked with: stripe.com/docs/api

Hope this helps! ✌️

·
Aisha Bukar
Aisha Bukar
Mar 23, 2022

Discovered some new things about API design. Interesting read I must say.

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 23, 2022

Love to hear that the post was helpful to you, Aisha! ✌️

·
Ilyas Maulana
Ilyas Maulana
Mar 28, 2022

I'm in a bootcamp periode, after I read this article , honestly, work without something that not followed by standarization will make development phase getting long, I hope can implement this one on my next project, Thank you to share this 👍👍

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Mar 28, 2022

It‘s so nice to hear that you can benefit from my article, Ilyas! 🙂 All the best to you, and if you have any questions just let me know. ✌️

·
The Data Dude
The Data Dude
Apr 2, 2022

It's hard to disagree with any of the bullets, but I think the most important of them is to be consistent. It will help both API consumers and the API developer(s).

Great article !

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Apr 2, 2022

I totally agree. It's the most important part - that's why it's #1. :) Thanks for your kind words!

·
Jamarob
Jamarob
Apr 2, 2022

That was a nice read, thanks Ronald!

I have a question regarding point 6, why prefer a custom header for passing api keys when we could use standard Authorization header with bearer scheme?

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Apr 6, 2022

Hey Jamarob! I'm happy you liked the post - thank you. 😎

You could definitely do that - I think there's no "convention" here, just best practices.

What I usually do is use the "Authorization: Bearer {token}" format when passing JWT tokens, but use the "Api-Key: {apiKey}" format when passing API keys. It's more like a matter of taste I guess.

·
abdolrahman kiany
abdolrahman kiany
Jun 20, 2022

thank you ! What method should we use for requests that neither return ( GET ) nor receive ( POST ) anything? For example, the endpoint of follow user Sorry, I can not speak English well

·
·1 reply
Ronald Blüthl
Ronald Blüthl
Author
·Jun 20, 2022

Hey abdolrahman kiany!

Thanks for your question. POST doesn‘t necessarily imply that the endpoint needs to return something. It merely implies that something is written or changed instead of read.

So in your case (following a user) I‘d go with something like.

POST /users/{id}/follow

• POST because something is WRITTEN (e.g. following a user, which triggers a change in your database)
  • {id} of the user that is subject to be followed
  • And then follow to explicitly specify the action

Of course it depends a bit on your current structure, but something along those lines should work just fine.

Hope that helps – reach out to me via Twitter (@rbluethl) if you need any more help.

·