Annie 🦄⚡

138 likes

·

2.6K reads

28 comments

Victor Eke
Victor Eke
Dec 29, 2021

Yo! Annie 🦄⚡ you just earned my huge respect for writing this article. I read through with so much attention because I can relate to so much of what you said.

I smiled when I read this line.

I've always been a creator. I want to build cool shit with cool people and have fun along the way.

Might update my bio with this quip. Will ditch the S**t though 😅

I understand what that feels like, the level of satisfaction and joy you get from being an integral part of something great holds more value to me. This is why I'm a big fan of open source.

Your zeal to go against the curb and do what you believe was best for your career and goals is highly admirable. And in my opinion, it was the best choice.

I'm happy for you Annie and will follow you closely to see the amazing things you'll build, now and in the future. 😇

·
·2 replies
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Eke, thank you so much for reading and I smiled when you re-shared my line haha!! It's so cool that you resonated with that, being the type of person you are! 🙌

It was truly the toughest decision I've had to make and I must say again there wasn't a bad decision; I had to do what made sense for me.

I've updated the article to add a section on Risk Mitigation (Very sexy I know lol) after a few folks had some worries. Hopefully, if you ever go through a tough decision like this, it might also help you!

Thanks again for this lovely feedback, Eke!!! 🙏

·
Victor Eke
Victor Eke
Dec 30, 2021

You're welcome, Annie and I'm sure it will be of great help. Thank you. 😇

·
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Dec 29, 2021

Hi Annie 🦄⚡, I think in the end you took the right decision and I'm happy for you :)

On another note, I see people going for the big companies and I don't always understand why... Most of the time it's for the perks, not what they're actually going to do... So my question to those people is how can you do something for 1, 2, more years that you don't really like...?!

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Eleftheria, oh man, there's so much to unpack here!

Like you say, a lot of people go for big companies and I can certainly see the appeal- benefits and salaries are often incredible and can make a big difference in people's lives!

But on the flip side, you often hear about people not enjoying their work and quitting soon after. Danny Thompson is one person that comes quickly to mind. He was at Google for a few months and then went back to his old company!

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Jan 1, 2022

Thank you for sharing your Journey, Annie!

I'd love to read about your journey, you are really inspiring one for me!!

Btw, Happy New year, Annie!🎉 and have a great 2022 ahead 🔥

·
·2 replies
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Jan 1, 2022

I appreciate your kind words Priyanshu, and hope the article helped you in some small way!

Happy new year, friend! Wishing you a magical 2022 and may you achieve all the big goals you desire this year! 🔥✨🙌

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Jan 3, 2022

Thank you for the great wishes Annie 🦄⚡ !! ✨💙

·
Kayla DM
Kayla DM
Dec 29, 2021

This is amazing! Firstly, congratulations..! On the offer, and making your final decision 🥳 Especially as a fellow Bootcamp grad, I can appreciate how difficult that decision must have been with imposter syndrome being really common.

Wishing you all the best in your next steps and looking forward to following along ☺️

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Thank you Kayla! You are absolutely spot on with the imposter syndrome!

I spoke to my bootcamp career advisor to get their opinion, and they thought I should stay the path. It was great getting a lot of different opinions, although incredibly tough to not take the offer in the end.

Wishing you the best in your journey as well!!!! 🔥🔥

·
Braydon Coyer
Braydon Coyer
Dec 29, 2021

Lovely, Annie! Great read - and congrats on the decision!

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Thanks a bunch, Braydon! 🙏 It was such a tough decision!!!

·
I'm Parham
I'm Parham
Dec 29, 2021

Hi Annie, Thanks for sharing your decision-making process. Making decisions is probably one of the hardest things we need to do as adults.

I have been in a similar place before and I agree to always be interviewing.

Good luck!

·
·2 replies
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Thank you for reading Parham! 🙏 I'm very curious to hear more about your experience if you care to share? I hope you feel you made the right decision in the end!

·
I'm Parham
I'm Parham
Jan 2, 2022

Annie 🦄⚡ Similarly, for me, money was not the main deciding factor. I put all pros & cons on the table and chose the place where I could make a bigger impact.

Also, In my current position, I get to play with 2-3 greenfield projects/domains on different stacks every year which I prefer to single projects for a long time.

and last, but not least for me is team culture and work-life balance which I am pretty happy with where I am. I think who I work with is a big deciding factor for me as well.

At the same time, every decision can be best based on the circumstances at the time and I am always alert for opportunities.

And about being happy with my decision, I would say 90% yes. To me it's like any other relationship, it's unrealistic to expect no issues but as long as parties are willing to change for improvements and move forward I will give it a chance. This approach in many cases has made our workplace better for me, my company and other colleagues.

·
Sam Sycamore
Sam Sycamore
Dec 29, 2021

Thank you for sharing this story Annie 🦄⚡! I know what a tough decision this was, and I completely understand the choice you made. I'm glad it's working out well for you!

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

It really is Sam, and thanks so much for being there for me during those sleepless indecisive weeks! 😩

·
Vishnu Damwala
Vishnu Damwala
Dec 30, 2021

Thank you Annie 🦄⚡ for sharing your experience with this article.

With huge respect, I always love your articles, tweets and especially your beautiful handwritten sketch notes.

Your dedication and confidence in you always motivate us. I too have been in this position and it's really difficult to make a decision but as you said

At the end of the day, your journey is your own.

Happy for you and wish you all the very best.

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Thanks so much for your support and kind words, Vishnu! 💜

I'd love to hear more about your decision story if you feel comfortable sharing? I'm always curious about how other people approach the tough decisions in their lives.

·
Chaitanya Prabuddha
Chaitanya Prabuddha
Dec 29, 2021

Great Article. I loved 'know your value' section.

·
Andrew Baisden
Andrew Baisden
Dec 29, 2021

Great article Annie 🦄⚡ congratulations this was a really inspiring read.

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Thank you, Andrew! 🙏💜

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Dec 30, 2021

Thanks for sharing your experience, I've learnt new a new perspective just from reading the article.

Wishing you all the best in your career, greater heights 🚀

·
·2 replies
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Dec 30, 2021

Thank you Favourite, I appreciate you taking the time to read it! Just added a new section on risk mitigation, if it's of interest! 😄

Wishing you the very best in everything as well! 🚀

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Dec 30, 2021

Thanks Annie 🦄⚡, I'll definitely read the new section you added.

·
Trishul Mukherjee
Trishul Mukherjee
Jan 4, 2022

This was so refreshing to read - and thanks a ton for sharing! I wish I had the clarity (or the choice) to be able to make such decisions. You are absolutely right that most decisions are already made at the big techs and you are only left with the execution part. Also, evaluating most decisions on the principle of 'least regret at end of life' is probably the best advice I have heard in a long time.

I believe you made the right choice for yourself. I wish you the very best in your current role and future endeavors - am sure you'll do well regardless of where you are!

·
·1 reply
Annie 🦄⚡
Annie 🦄⚡
Author
·Jan 6, 2022

Thank you so much for reading, Trishul!

It was a really hard choice to make. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like now if I had taken the other role, especially when I'm procrastinating on the things I gotta do.

I tell myself, "I didn't give up an offer from __ to procrastinate on this."

Wishing you well in your future endeavours as well, and hope if you ever have to make a big decision, that this article helped you a little. All the best!!

·
Cess
Cess
Dec 30, 2021

Interesting

·