Rizel Scarlett

130 likes

·

3.8K reads

11 comments

Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Dec 28, 2021

You have provided some excellent tips, thank you Rizel Scarlett.

·
·1 reply
Rizel Scarlett
Rizel Scarlett
Author
·Dec 31, 2021

Thank you for reading it, and thanks to you and the team at Hashnode for featuring this blog post.

·
Jeff Ruane
Jeff Ruane
Dec 28, 2021

Excellent, wonderful post. Contempt Culture is real, and it's really no surprise when you look at some of the early internet pioneers. They may have created some great things, but a lot of them seem like real assholes, and we're still trying to dig ourselves out of that toxic culture they created.

·
·1 reply
Rizel Scarlett
Rizel Scarlett
Author
·Dec 31, 2021

Thank you! I never heard someone refer to it as Contempt Culture. Thanks for linking me to that. Pretty interesting read. And haha, I agree. Luckily, the internet has allowed me to meet some kind developers as well.

·
Gabor Pfalzer
Gabor Pfalzer
Dec 29, 2021

Excellent post, I'll come back to it a couple of times. I am very lucky with the environment I started up in, and I would like to keep it that way, once it is my turn. Thank you!

·
·1 reply
Rizel Scarlett
Rizel Scarlett
Author
·Dec 31, 2021

Thank you! I'm glad it was helpful to you, and I'm also glad you are in a positive, supportive environment!

·
Joseph Peter
Joseph Peter
Dec 31, 2021

Its a very challenging environment for new coders without any mentor to guide at least for a few months, it's changing slowly but it's one of the reason I left tech job 6 years back and I was happy about it. Till I faced and realized every industry is like that if you are not in the inner circle of the team or management. Finding the right team or companies that suits me seems to be more difficult. Your post is shedding light to this situation and solution. Thanks for sharing your valuable insights Rizel Scarlett.

·
·1 reply
Rizel Scarlett
Rizel Scarlett
Author
·Dec 31, 2021

Thank you so much! So sorry that you experienced a negative tech culture, but I'm glad that you're happy now. It is super hard to find the right team or company. I'm glad I found it recently.

·
Jesse Bellingham
Jesse Bellingham
Jan 2, 2022

Fantastic post! I'll be saving it for future reference 😅 the bit about allowing developers to reflect after finishing a task really resonated with me, and it seems tied to implementing better processes. I would argue that SCRUM and Kanban encourage team leads and product owner/managers to focus almost exclusively on story points, and developers aren't empowered or don't know how to shift the narrative away from imaginary points ticking up, and more towards the value being delivered. Functionally the same outcome though.

·
·1 reply
Rizel Scarlett
Rizel Scarlett
Author
·Jan 3, 2022

I agree with your argument. I do think the pressure is coming from product owners and product managers. When I wrote the blog post, I didn't think about it..but you're right.

I'm glad you liked the reflecting after finishing a task. It's been really helpful to me!

·
Raphael Taglialegna
Raphael Taglialegna
Jan 17, 2022

Thanks for the tips, it was very useful! I really think we are here for a reason, and the main reason for me is to help each other and create a good environment for everyone!

·