James Lieu

239 likes

·

4.3K reads

28 comments

Julen Diaz
Julen Diaz
Dec 8, 2021

James that seems to be like a fantastic habit for documenting the journey 💪 I also think that blogging is a kind of journaling on itself. Anyway thanks for that cool article! I'll try it out 🔥

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 11, 2021

Thank you Julen.

I agree, blogging is a kind of journaling as well. Whichever platform or method they're most comfortable with will work so long as it has a date and they also remember to read it from time to time.

·
Peter Witham
Peter Witham
Dec 10, 2021

Thanks for posting this James, I have always considered journaling (and blogging) development as a way to share and hold yourself accountable for the progress you make.

It also serves as a great reference when you know you did something before but do not remember the details, yay for search :)

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 11, 2021

You're welcome and thank you for reading.

You make a good point about holding ourselves accountable for progress we make and serving as a great reference to something you've done before.

You'd be surprised how much you've grown once you look back and read some of those past entries.

·
Shant Kalaidjian
Shant Kalaidjian
Dec 8, 2021

Can you provide one of the pages of your journal, please?

·
·2 replies
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 8, 2021

Sure, here's a screenshot of one of my earlier entries. I used MS OneNote at the time.

image.png

Another forum to create journal entries is via blogging. I've written these with the intention that only I would read them. Here is a list of my past entries: jameslieu.co.uk/all-posts

·
Shant Kalaidjian
Shant Kalaidjian
Dec 8, 2021

thank you, i needed those to know how to start my own programming journal. James Lieu

·
Stephane Tardif
Stephane Tardif
Dec 9, 2021

I'm implementing this for sure! I just created a Programming journal template in my note-making tool called Obisidian.

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 10, 2021

I'm glad to hear it! Thank you for reading

·
Adriana Lara
Adriana Lara
Dec 13, 2021

I’m doing this while I learn the ropes, but with a paper notebook. Although I’m barely in the middle of learning HTML, it’s helped me a lot with retaining information and keeping me focused.

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 13, 2021

Paper notebooks are a great way to journal. Sometimes stepping away from the laptop screen allows for a more deeper focus and thought-process when adding your journal entry.

Thanks for reading and commenting Adriana!

·
Sandeep
Sandeep
Dec 14, 2021

This is awesome 🔥

Definitely going to make a journal!

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 14, 2021

Thank you! I'm glad to hear you're going to start your journal

·
Hazrul Fitri
Hazrul Fitri
Dec 14, 2021

Hey! Thanks for writing this article! I find it really useful and I think I'm gonna implement the system you've mentioned in the article. Cheers!

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 14, 2021

You're welcome! Remember to go back and read your own journal entries after a while, you'll really see how much you've learned and grown. Thanks for reading and commenting

·
Jean-Marc Möckel
Jean-Marc Möckel
Dec 14, 2021

Awesome post james!

I'll implement this method into my daily workflow. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 14, 2021

You're welcome!

Once you have a few entries, remember to read them from time to time, you'd be surprised how much better you've become.

·
Ackon Richmond
Ackon Richmond
Dec 15, 2021

Cool 😎 just what I needed

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 15, 2021

Thank you for reading Ackon! Hope this was helpful

·
girolamo
girolamo
Dec 15, 2021

Thanks for the cool article!

Love the way you’ve structured your post! It feels like you really care about your readers :)

Ciao!

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Dec 19, 2021

You're welcome Girolamo!

And thank you for the feedback, it means a lot!

·
Basharath
Basharath
Jan 3, 2022

Yes, I'm using 📝Notion to document my works, ideas, and tasks. This article gave a clear insight into the benefits of doing that. 👍

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Jan 3, 2022

Thanks for reading Basharath. I also use Notion now, its great!

·
Asad Ullah
Asad Ullah
Jan 23, 2022

I usually write simpler notes now. Sometimes complex writing becomes a task in itself and I start to procrastinate then.

·
·1 reply
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Jan 23, 2022

Makes sense to me Asad.

I think I also fall into that trap, if writing simpler notes works for you, go for it :)

·
Joshua Berrios
Joshua Berrios
Feb 3, 2022

This post was nothing but inspiring. As a military veteran who is use jotting down problems, solutions, and concepts, this aligns well with me and inspires me to journal as a now junior full stack web developer. Good thing I already use Notion and I look forward to using Hashnode as a medium to share my experiences as a dev and also retrospectively reflect on the progress I have made as a developer.

·
·2 replies
James Lieu
James Lieu
Author
·Mar 22, 2022

Thank you for your kind words Joshua. I'm glad you've found my article useful.

And thank you for introducing me to codingfantasy.com ! Need to start playing that to up my CSS game.

All the best

·
Joshua Berrios
Joshua Berrios
Mar 22, 2022

James Lieu Welcome. I am glad that I could have done that for you as well. Serving one and another in many ways than none 😁

·