71 likes

·

546 reads

7 comments

Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Oct 18, 2021

Good advice! I had similar experience back when I was starting out and I needed to prove myself. I would go above and beyond doing also stuff I wasn't even asked to do. As I settled into my job and gained more experience. I became more of laid back person, but my productivity didn't take a hit. You gave me the idea to write about this topic from my perspective. Thank you for sharing your experience. It was fun learning about it.

·
Daniel Cranney
Daniel Cranney
Oct 18, 2021

Great article! Hustle culture makes us feel like if we're not work obsessed we'll never achieve 'success', though success is measured by people that buy into this way of thinking by your income and financial freedom, rather than your happiness.

Thanks for your honesty in this article!

·
Maxi Contieri⭐⭐⭐
Maxi Contieri⭐⭐⭐
Oct 18, 2021

Nice article!

It is very hard to find the balance.

I want to one day be able to be a good teacher, a good manager, a good leader. As I mature as a professional, I want to learn something new from everyone I meet and not get wrapped up in my ego.

Keep on, you are doing great!

·
Bojan Skrchevski
Bojan Skrchevski
Oct 18, 2021

Nice article. I think you touched up on a very difficult and very deep subject that somehow in this noise talk of frameworks can easily get lost on a young mind (and old for that matter) that reacts as if it so far away from them, it's never gonna happen. Until it does. Two months later...You're having panic attacks, you don't recognize yourself anymore, but most important you start questioning everything you do. I've been around in this industry for so long (>25 years). I have had it happen several times to me and I've seen, chatted, helped hundreds more. It ends believe me. Especially if you find out that it is not the end of the world even if you don't work as a developer or even worse: entrepreneur. After each time I find something new to be grateful about. I have to say with me, personally it has not had that influence. I've had crisis, of course. But I think that today I love what I do even more that when I was starting out. Or, maybe I've just gotten better at noticing and appreciating the little things, you know, family, friends etc. :)

·
Vani Kulkarni
Vani Kulkarni
Oct 25, 2021

I can't agree more. Thank you for being honest and authentic while writing this. Solace at workplace has been a must for me. I completely empathise with you and we both are sailing in same boat.

·
Gilbert Vans
Gilbert Vans
Dec 31, 2022

First of all, thanks for the article. I would also like to share my life story. A couple of years ago, my job stopped bringing me joy. I was under constant stress and completely lacked motivation. I even had to seek help from an online psychologist and go through several online therapy sessions. Finally, I made the decision to change jobs and started working for myself and launched my own product. Sometimes you just need to change everything in life in order to start achieving any results.

·