Avneesh Agarwal

109 likes

·

984 reads

10 comments

Tapas Adhikary
Tapas Adhikary
Sep 16, 2021

Opensource rocks. Thanks for the mention, buddy.

·
·1 reply
Avneesh Agarwal
Avneesh Agarwal
Author
·Sep 16, 2021

Yeah, open source ✊🏻. You deserved the mention 😄

·
Rob Levin
Rob Levin
Sep 30, 2021

Why is "User friendly" in the cons bullet? Are you saying that the maintainer has to invest time to be friendly to the library/framework users and contributors? Or, open source libraries aren't generally as user friendly as commercial? Or aren't required to be?

·
·1 reply
Avneesh Agarwal
Avneesh Agarwal
Author
·Sep 30, 2021

Some open-source apps become so techy because so many devs are working. Not always but sometimes.

·
Marko Denic
Marko Denic
Sep 30, 2021

Very nice article, Avneesh! Well done!

I wrote an article on how to make your first open-source contribution. Maybe, it'll be useful to your readers.

Cheers!

·
·1 reply
Avneesh Agarwal
Avneesh Agarwal
Author
·Oct 5, 2021

Awesome!

·
Karthik Pariti
Karthik Pariti
Sep 16, 2021

The blog was awesome!. gave me useful info on how to contribute and make a repo open-source. But how is user-friendliness a con according to how you mentioned it at the start?

·
·1 reply
Avneesh Agarwal
Avneesh Agarwal
Author
·Sep 16, 2021

User friendliness can be q con if it becomes too technical. Then a normal user who doesn't know much about tech won't be able to use the app properly

·
Sai Praneeth Diddigam
Sai Praneeth Diddigam
Sep 17, 2021

Nice writeup.

But,

If a project is open-sourced, it doesn't mean it is fast or scalable. Also, I don't understand what flexible here means.
Ex: Express.js is an open-source project, it doesn't mean it's fast, there are libraries like Fastify which is faster than Express.

Also, you are wrong about the security thing too, there are literally thousands of open source projects with so many vulnerabilities.

Most of the time there is more support for open-sourced projects than paid frameworks because there could be a huge community behind one.

Open source is nothing about being fast or flexible or scalable. It is about community.

Good luck.

·
·1 reply
Avneesh Agarwal
Avneesh Agarwal
Author
·Sep 17, 2021

Thanks, I think I should have explained the points a bit more but for now I explain more here-

By fast I meant faster development. For scalable there is a pretty good chance that would be scalable, not in every case but there is pretty good chances.

Most of the open source projects are secure because you can see all code. Some very small projects can have vulnerability if no one cared to see the code...

P.S Forr the benefits the project should have contributors

Completely agree to the point that open source is about community.

I will add some of these details in the article itself soon, thanks.

·