Harpreet Pratap Acharya
Harpreet Pratap Acharya
Aug 23, 2021

Very Useful! Thanks for this article!!

·
Joseph Tsegen
Joseph Tsegen
Aug 31, 2021

awesome was gonna start a project with auth0 this helped a lot.

·
nameless
nameless
Oct 18, 2022

Very detailed tutorial. I just finished my full-stack course. And now I can finally understand what is this post talking about. Haha.

I have a brief idea how authentication works now. And experienced some other authentication methods too. But do not know what auth0 is about. All I know it is a kind of oauth.

May I know what is auth0 in brief description and What are the differences between it and google-oauth / facebook-oauth?

·
·1 reply
Victoria Lo
Victoria Lo
Author
·Oct 19, 2022

Hi nameless, thanks for the comment :) Congrats on completing your full-stack course.

To answer your question, OAuth 2.0 is a protocol that allows a user to grant limited access to their resources on one site, to another site, without having to expose their credentials. You know like those "Sign in with Google/Facebook/Apple/GitHub" stuff.

On the other hand, auth0 - which is what this tutorial is about, is the platform that allows developers to implement the OAuth2 protocol more conveninently.

So Google OAuth is basically allowing users to Sign Up with Google. And Facebook OAuth allows users to Sign Up with Facebook.

And auth0 is that platform can provide this implementation more easily for you. Hope that answers it :)

·
nameless
nameless
Oct 20, 2022

Thanks.

And also thanks for the reply. So by reading your code and the description. Can I conclude that we can outsource the authentication part to the auth0 easily?

·
·2 replies
Victoria Lo
Victoria Lo
Author
·Oct 21, 2022

Yes that's what auth0 platform does

·
nameless
nameless
Oct 23, 2022

Victoria Lo That's so cool. Thanks for the explanation. Now I see what auth0 is about. 😁

·