silvester landu hunggu wali
Aug 14, 2021

thanks for sharing

Catalin Pit
Catalin Pit
Jun 15, 2021

Great article, Anna J McDougall! 馃檹

I enjoyed it. The part that struck a chord with me is the following:

"You can probably recall someone who lifted you up and gave you faith in yourself in your early days. Be that for someone else and you can change their lives...."

Michelle Tan
Michelle Tan
Jun 15, 2021

Well written and useful advices 馃榾 Thanks for sharing!

Rohit Gulam
Rohit Gulam
Jun 16, 2021

I really enjoyed reading this, Anna J McDougall.

All the other juniors, interns, and trainees are very lucky to have you as their Tech Lead even if it's just for two weeks

Corina Ferencz
Corina Ferencz
Jun 18, 2021

I liked reading your article! Excellent advice. 馃榾

I particularly enjoyed the part in which juniors are questioned. When combined with encouragement, this will only help them on their way to being more knowledgeable.

Nextwebb
Nextwebb
Jun 18, 2021

Anna J McDougallawesome wor! this impressed me

Your goal might be to make concepts seem less intimidating, but what the junior hears is "you're supposed to know this and you're ignorant if you don't". Remember Impostor Syndrome? A lot of juniors are also career changers, and when they have it implied that something is obvious that they don't know, it can trigger a broader fear of not belonging.

Software engineering is too wide, to assume everyone knows what you know. that still doesn't make them less of an engineer.

Haimanot Tekie
Haimanot Tekie
Jun 19, 2021

Very actionable and thought provoking on how to be better mentor!

Swati Sarangi
Swati Sarangi
Feb 10, 2022

Great article!Thanks for sharing your experience as a learner and trainer at the same time. It's very important to understand the midset of the juniors so as to provide them sufficient support for learning.