3.6K reads

3 comments

Sebastien Dubois
Sebastien Dubois
Apr 19, 2021

Great tips!

I've shared a ton of ideas in Volume 1 of my Dev Concepts collection:

• Learn to type FAST (80+ WPMs)
  • Master your Operating System: its shortcuts, how to manage processes, how to navigate the file systems, etc
  • Learn IDE shortcuts (create/rename files, extract methods, classes, functions, implement/override/refactor methods, etc)
  • Automate code formatting, and anything else that wastes time and brain cycles
  • Write tests
  • Use the Terminal and master aliases to automate repetitive tasks and type less
  • Use mind mapping, diagrammatic reasoning & problem structuring techniques to analyze problems & tasks
  • Create mental models to better understand what you're doing
  • Practice practice practice!
  • Contribute to open source to learn from great developers and improve
  • Learn to search efficiently
  • Use design thinking, 6 thinking hats and similar techniques to increase your creativity
  • Structure your work and tasks (create yourself a system to be super organized & efficient); Read about GTD
  • Estimate tasks using relative weights to better compare them
  • Prioritize work regularly (focus on urgent & important)
  • Plan your days ahead
  • Build solid habits
  • Become a morning person & focus on the most important task as soon as you can (highlight for the day -- miracle morning & Make time techniques)
  • Manage your time. Learn about techniques like Pomodoro, use a time timer to visualize time
  • Work in a structured manner
  • Focus (for real!)
  • Focus on outcomes rather than on details
  • Take advantage of downtime to improve (learn new things, contribute to open source, etc)
  • Reflect on work regularly (identify your weaknesses)
  • Broaden your horizons and learn about architecture, software design, back-end, front-end, infrastructure, etc
  • Master all the general concerns (e.g., error handling, code quality, logging, performance, i18n, l10n, encoding, caching, how to fix bugs, source control management, security, etc)
  • Find your Ikigai and stay motivated
  • Have fun

And there's a ton more in there. Hope this helps someone out there!

If you're curious, you can learn more about my project over here: https://dev-concepts.dev/

Manthankumar Satani
Manthankumar Satani
Apr 19, 2021

Great piece of article, Learned few things and got inspired to do for things that I know and was avoiding.

James Downell
James Downell
May 29, 2021

Great tips, thank you!