Sign in
Tadas Petra

178 likes

2.9K reads

26 comments

Cryptokkie
Cryptokkie
Nov 27, 2020

In search of financial freedom I finally ended up living on a boat, I love every day of it. Not an expensive one, but just good enough.

I don't have to pay rent or mortgage and this lowers my monthly expenses dramatically. I'd say less than 25% of what it used to be when I lived in a house.

The lower recurring costs allow me to generate less income if I please. It gives me the freedom to refuse or accept a gig, to try out ideas that come to mind, or enjoy life and do nothing for a while. Perhaps it's something for you to consider. It doesn't have to be forever... maybe just until you do make enough money to rent or buy a house and don't stress about paying for it.

And if you wish, you can change your surroundings just by sailing to another place.

I wish you good luck, whatever you have in mind, keep at it! Also when everything goes dark - keep at it, don't give up!

ps: internet in most harbors is fast enough to stream live video :-)

4 replies
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

This is awesome! I've thought about potentially living a van like a lot of "Youtubers" do haha. But my girlfriend doesn't really want to do that, and I am not sure I want to either. I have been thinking of trying out a technique called "house hacking" where you buy a 4 unit apartment complex, and rent out 3 and live in one and it should break even almost. That would lower costs as well!

Cryptokkie
Cryptokkie
Dec 1, 2020

Tadas Petra Absolutely true. Don't overthink it, if you can buy a 4 unit apartment complex and if you are really sure you can rent out the apartments: go for it. A friend of mine tried something like that with airbnb, but ended up living in a big empty and above all expensive house so be realistic. Good to hear anyway that you are looking into options to minimize expenses, it's a huge step into the wonderful world of freedom. I hope you succeed, but I think you are on the right track by publicly announcing your plans. Bon courage!

Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 2, 2020

Cryptokkie After looking into it, I don't think right now is the right time for it. The prices have increased so much this year, and with the forbearance, and potential foreclosures coming next year, it could be a really bad time to invest. I think I will wait at least a year, and then reevaluate!

Cryptokkie
Cryptokkie
Dec 3, 2020

Tadas Petra Patience is your best friend when it comes to investing.

M Try M
M Try M
Nov 27, 2020

It's refreshing to read real life stories and not 'how I quit my job with $150 (as a millionaire ex Google Apple Engineer)'.

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

Yea I am not close to that. Hopefully it will end up being a good decision 馃槄

V Thulisile Sibanda
V Thulisile Sibanda
Nov 20, 2020

Wooow it will all be worth it in the end I'm inspired 馃憣馃徔馃憣馃徔

2 replies
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Nov 20, 2020

We will find out by the end of 2021. But lets hope so. Thank you for reading!

V Thulisile Sibanda
V Thulisile Sibanda
Nov 20, 2020

Tadas Petra will be rotting馃帀馃帀 for you 馃馃徔馃馃徔

Stephan Meijer
Stephan Meijer
Nov 20, 2020

I'm curious to read the follow up and follow the progress.

What would you say that the minimum cost of living in Chicago, IL is like?

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Nov 20, 2020

Thanks Stephan. And according to my budgeting, I would need a minimum of $1500 a month (after taxes) to be able to sustain my current life.

However, I live in a suburb in a small apartment and live super cheap haha. Realistically especially in the city you would need at least double that to live a normal life.

Giuseppe Loarte
Giuseppe Loarte
Nov 20, 2020

A new follower here! :)

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Nov 20, 2020

Hey, thanks for following 馃槉

Igor Silveira
Igor Silveira
Nov 20, 2020

Damn man, what a good way to start your new awesome life! 馃榿 Best of luck with your new endeavor.

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

Thank you Igor! Hopefully it will all work out!

George Jager
George Jager
Nov 20, 2020

Wish you all the best :)

Tommi Urtti
Tommi Urtti
Nov 20, 2020

That takes courage man!

Contemplating the same from time to time, but with 4 people depending on my income, I don't think I could take the pressure of immediate success that would come with that.

Good luck!

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

That was another reason why I decided it is a good time for me right now. I don't have anybody depending on my income, so it is as good a time as ever 馃槉

Sarthak Shrivastava
Sarthak Shrivastava
Nov 21, 2020

You are awesome mannn, you have all my support and if you need any help then I am just a DM away All the very best :)

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

Thanks Sarthak, and "any help" you say? How about we switch channels 馃槀

Chris Bongers
Chris Bongers
Nov 21, 2020

Nice man, you're going to make it work, even if it means getting back a side job for a second.

Best of luck, and if you ever need help, reach out. 鉁岋笍

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

Thank you Chris! I really appreciate it! And hopefully I won't need to, but if I do, it won't be the end of the world 馃槉

Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Nov 21, 2020

I have ben working with youtube for the last 2 years. For me, 7.5K subscribers is a lot! Congrats on that. I have about 4.9K and I make zero money from youtube/sponsors...

I'm wishing you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll make it.

1 reply
Tadas Petra
Tadas Petra
Author
Dec 1, 2020

I have seen your channel grow more and more recently! It is all compounding, so I wish you more and more growth. I am sure you are close to monetization 馃槉

Pratik Sharma
Pratik Sharma
Nov 26, 2020

I am next in your queue. College or school can never give you financial freedom. You need to create asserts. We will be great friends. Hope you succeed and me too