Oct 1, 2020

Great insights Vignesh M 👍

·
·2 replies
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you so much. You left the first comment in my blog post in the two years I've been writing.🎉

·
Rakesh Vardan
Rakesh Vardan
Oct 1, 2020

Vignesh M Glad for your reply. Being a novice blogger myself, I can feel the pain. Your articles really have the unique content and covers different topics. Keep the momentum going !

·
Sunil Kumar
Sunil Kumar
Oct 1, 2020

Nice article Vignesh. Keep sharing articles like these!

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thanks, Sunil.

·
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Oct 1, 2020

This is a fantastic article Vignesh M. I love the analysis and thoughts shared here. Amazing!

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you so much.

·
Tapas Adhikary
Tapas Adhikary
Oct 1, 2020

Awesome Vignesh M!

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you so much.

·
Anuradha Kumari
Anuradha Kumari
Oct 1, 2020

Very insightful, loved reading it... 👏👏👏

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you.

·
Shad Mirza
Shad Mirza
Oct 1, 2020

This was such a good read

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you.

·
Victoria Lo
Victoria Lo
Oct 1, 2020

This is very true. That's why being a freelancer, I feel like I can be in charge of my own time and make the most value out of it. It's not about the quantity, but the quality of hours. Thanks for this insightful article!

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you

·
Skay
Skay
Oct 1, 2020

Great Article Vignesh M!!

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you.

·
Dallas Spohn
Dallas Spohn
Oct 1, 2020

This only speaks to bloggers or developers still working in a silo style environment. in a high-velocity DevOps environment, not all of this would fly. But with that said. It was a great read and kept me engaged.

·
·3 replies
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thanks for sharing your thought, Dallas. I am glad that you read it till the end and shared your views.

What do you refer to by high-velocity devops env? I agree that my views are limited by my personal experience.

If you have the time, I would love to learn where these won't apply?

·
Dallas Spohn
Dallas Spohn
Oct 1, 2020

Vignesh M DevOps is the merger of development and operations into one title. Pre DevOps we use to work in silos that suffered from communication problems between the developers and the sysadmins that postponed the release of the product. I've worked for companies that had the developers on one floor and the operations on another. Since the merger of DevOps (tearing down he silos so to say) by moving us all into an open environment allowed for better communication and more efficient turnaround time from feedback loops.

High velocity is a 24/7 monitoring and maintenance of networks in shifts to keep the product available worldwide. I have a quick rundown of DevOps if you are not familiar with it (46 minute read) spohnz.com/cliff-notes-of-the-devops-handb… So you can understand how your casual approach to development does not apply to a global scale company. I am not saying I didn't enjoy the writing. I did very much.

·
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have experience with devops and worked on such teams. But I did not work on worldwide products that need 24*7 care yet. As you said these won't work with such high demand teams.

I'll give your article a read. Dallas Spohn

·
Rajan Panchal
Rajan Panchal
Oct 7, 2020

This is an amazing article.

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 7, 2020

Thank you.

·
Shehriyar Qureshi
Shehriyar Qureshi
Nov 7, 2020

The creative burst part is very true. Those short times are way more productive than normal, long ones.

·
Júlio César Ködel
Júlio César Ködel
Oct 1, 2020

Speak for yourself.

I often work, focused, for 6 hours straight (without any pause). Sometimes, a lot more than that.

Doing what I like, for a product I own, it's totally different.

But, some days, I can't even start to work... And there are days like this that just forcing to start to work it works and I stay focused for a long time.

I guess the article title should be: no company slave can work 8 hours straight. =)

·
·2 replies
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 1, 2020

Slave is a strong word.

I work on my own product too and faced the same problems in the article. It really depends on one's self.

It is great if you can work focused like that but most people I know agreed with what I experienced.

·
Maximilian Berkmann
Maximilian Berkmann
Oct 1, 2020

You make a good point to which I can somewhat relate to, however "slave" to describe people working others isn't right (even if you are Joshua Fluke v2).

·
Jessica Messica
Jessica Messica
Oct 23, 2021

I've read a few articles about "knowledge workers". Man people really are oblivious to the fact that most people are working the full 40 hours.

And not at a cushy desk with a coffee cup. I'd love to see you work warehouse. We bust our butts at breakneck speed all day long.

I have had easier jobs but I've never met someone who does nothing 5 hours a day at work. You guys must be really lucky

·
·1 reply
Vignesh M
Vignesh M
Author
·Oct 23, 2021

I agree we're having it easier physically but it doesn't mean we have it easier.

All desk workers are not knowledge workers. There are clerical jobs that are very different from what I call knowledge work.

Talk about working in a warehouse, I've worked in agriculture farms (manual, no machine forms) under open sky in India. So I'm not completely a stranger to physical work.

We might be not doing anything at all for 5 hours, on the other hand we're not really out of work. You can't shut off your work related questions whereas a warehouse worker can sign off and grab a beer and actually have a good time.

But I agree that there are some great benefits to be a knowledge worker because of better pay, better working conditions. It is better than hard physical labor but it doesn't mean it is easy.

This was written in a developer oriented blog, the title is meant to be a click-a-bait. So this is just broad generalization, there are a lot of people even in our industry working 60 hours a week and maintaining production systems, being on call, etc. I can assure you, though there are some benifits, we have our own problems.

·