Sign in
Kevin Simons

9 comments

Ripul Kumar
Ripul Kumar
Dec 6, 2020

I am still trying to figure out why we should move from DraftJS to SlateJS. Even saw a comment from Nick Graf that SlateJS is quite good. We've been able to reach 95% of our use case ( prnt.sc/vwosjx ) with DraftJS but the remaining 5% seems to be taking an excruciatingly long time & effort because of lack of documentation and almost no community support. We've used & created custom DraftJS plugins which are not available in SlateJS. Can we convert DraftJS saved editor state to convert into SlateJS states easily ? Are there any good plugin system available ? Editor is like a long term investment that a developer makes to develop their platform and it is an incredibly important decision, thoughts and suggestions.

·
·1 reply
Kevin Simons
Kevin Simons
Author
·Dec 7, 2020

I fully agree that the editor is a long term investment and I'd be VERY hesitant to switch if I was you.

I am not aware of any system for easily switching your document representation to slate from draft.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make a very small proof of concept with slate and only target those things which are causing you a lot of pain in draft. Only if those things turned out to be much easier in slate would I even consider the change. Avoid the rewrite if you can.

·
Dinys Monvoisin
Dinys Monvoisin
Sep 23, 2020

I was waiting for such an article on SlateJS. When I used Slate for one of my project, it was quite hard to understand the documentation. Quite often, I would need to rely on their examples.

·
·1 reply
Kevin Simons
Kevin Simons
Author
·Sep 23, 2020

Glad you found it helpful! Follow us on Twitter or here on hashnode to get more articles on Slate in the future 🙌

·
Antonio Gatto
Antonio Gatto
Oct 3, 2020

Very interesting post !!!! Thanks for share !

·
·1 reply
Kevin Simons
Kevin Simons
Author
·Oct 5, 2020

Glad you liked it! Thanks very much for reading 🙌 Follow us here or on Twitter if you want more content like this going forward.

·
ikib kilam
ikib kilam
Jul 16, 2021

This is an awesome write up. I am wondering, if you have had the chance to write more about working with SlateJS. You mentioned in the blog that you will be, hence the Q. Appreciate your response. And congrats on Kitemaker!

·
·2 replies
Kevin Simons
Kevin Simons
Author
·Jul 16, 2021

Hi! I haven't had a chance yet since we're busy working on some big features for the editor currently. But I there will be more coming!

·
ikib kilam
ikib kilam
Jul 16, 2021

Thanks. Keenly looking forward to the write up.,Kevin Simons

·