Yashish Dua

45 likes

·

218 reads

11 comments

Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 16, 2020

How should beginner developers go about building their personal brand?

·
·1 reply
Yashish Dua
Yashish Dua
Author
·Aug 17, 2020

To all devs,

I always believe that development is an art. There is a lot of hard work required to learn this craft to it's best. The most successful artists are the ones that have the skills and "projection". Particularly, in tech, developers (including me) are trying to build the brands and grabbing ample opportunities!

To get started these are the few steps one can take to build their own brand.

1. Contribute to open-source - One step that lets the world see you how you code and think. Of course, you will learn the maximum here.

2. Build a portfolio - Display all your work, ideas, and contributions in a single place (call it your own website). Github Pages could be the easiest step.

Create Content

1. Start writing - Having empathy, and helping fellow developers with whatever knowledge you have is going to help you create your own image in the industry. It brings validity and faith in your name. Preferably, set up your own dev blog to streamline your readers. Hashnode is a good place to start.

2. Public speaking (and networking) - I know this could be an off-topic to many as we all have our shares of fear. Trust me, this could be a life-changing decision. You are going to learn a lot on this path. Once you are able to pull the audience, networking with other speakers, and attendees will help you build a niche circle of people. The exchange of opportunities becomes easy here.

3. Stay active on Twitter and Stackoverflow to grab attention, and then use your profile bio to redirect viewers to your blog or wherever you wish to!

Tip: Make sure to interlink your social media profiles, blogs, portfolio, etc to each other.

·
Chris Bongers
Chris Bongers
Aug 17, 2020

Hey Yashish,

First of all, major fanboy alert! 🦸‍♂️

1) Why did Postman change from a web application to a own app still running a web page? 2) How do you go about making a infrastructure for something like Postman? Did you always anticipate it would become massive? did you re-scale or re-did infrastructure when it started growing?

~ Chris

·
·2 replies
Yashish Dua
Yashish Dua
Author
·Aug 17, 2020

Hey Chris,

So, we are on the same page. I am a big fan of Postman too!

• The capabilities Postman was trying to introduce was not possible at that time with Chrome Extension, which leads to the rise of a native application. Over time, as the pillars of our client foundation improved, we progressed towards "Postman For Web" which was released last month in beta.

blog.postman.com/announcing-postman-for-th…

• We at Postman believe to ship and fail fast. Infrastructural changes require an ample amount of research to make sure resiliency, security, and reliability of the system is maintained at its top. We always benchmark and do capacity planning to anticipate the load. On top of it, we build the system for what's anticipated x5.

• Re the architecting of infrastructure is an inevitable and on-going process. To make sure the efforts are less every time to do so, from the very start we make the systems flexible (intra-service and inter-service both) and domain-oriented.

·
Chris Bongers
Chris Bongers
Aug 18, 2020

Yashish Dua Wow thank you for the extensive answer.

It's amazing too see and hear first hand how companies like Postman tackle this. Also I didn't see the web beta, that's truly amazing news!

·
Vinay vinnu
Vinay vinnu
Aug 17, 2020

Would u please give some brief about cybersecurity and it's future scope cuz i believe that AI will take over software developers or engineers, and there will no more be enough jobs for engineers to get in. And where do u think the trend might shift (technology).

·
·3 replies
Yashish Dua
Yashish Dua
Author
·Aug 17, 2020

Hi Vinay,

I can relate to your concerns. Trust me, AI is not going to overtake the software engineers for sure. Think like this,

• Who is going to build AI?
  • Who is going to find bugs in AI?
  • How would users interact with AI?
  • Who would design the user experience for products using AI?
  • Who is going to create insights and drive decisions? Who is going to decide what needs to be feed into AI?
  • Who would manage servers for AI processing?

This list goes on... and answers to all of them are software engineers. 😍

Cybersecurity is the need of the hour. These days every organization is trying to set up the right security team because any breach can bring the company down. There are many layers that need to be secured right from your TCP to Humans.

I hope I answered your doubts. Please feel free to comment on what do you think?

·
Vinay vinnu
Vinay vinnu
Aug 18, 2020

And what do u think about technology shift? Yashish Dua

·
Yashish Dua
Yashish Dua
Author
·Aug 19, 2020

Vinay vinnu Organisations are getting more conscious about Security, Infrastructure, and Data. So, probably for the next 5 years, these domains are going to be scratched to their depth.

·
Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Aug 16, 2020

Hey Yashish,

I have a couple of questions for you -

• What do you love the most about Golang?

• What do you love the most about being an infrastructure engineer?

Welcome to Hashnode!

·
·1 reply
Yashish Dua
Yashish Dua
Author
·Aug 17, 2020

Hey Sandeep, thanks for starting the thread.

• What do you love the most about Golang?

Ah, my love for Golang is eternal. After years, a language has come in that is super easy to understand and code, and uses the core OS principles to provide insane performance. I feel that Go is more about software engineering than programming language research. All this said I love the community of Golang the most. There are multiple channels and resources that make onboarding to Golang so beautiful.

• What do you love the most about being an infrastructure engineer?

Honestly, I landed here unintentionally. I aspired to be a backend engineer. Now, I feel fortunate that I am an Infrastructure Engineer. The kind of scale and problem statements an infrastructure engineer comes across is crazy. The most interesting part is our solutions come from fundamental software engineering principles - OS, network, distributed architecture, etc and this gives me dopamine.

·