Uduak Obong-Eren

304 likes

·

86.6K reads

41 comments

Bolaji Ayodeji
Bolaji Ayodeji
Aug 1, 2020

This is really amazing, thanks for sharing!

·
·2 replies
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

Thanks man, glad you found it useful!

·
Bolaji Ayodeji
Bolaji Ayodeji
Aug 2, 2020

I can't wait to read more from you :) Uduak Obong-Eren

·
Tapas Adhikary
Tapas Adhikary
Aug 1, 2020

Uduak Obong-Eren, This is so motivating man! Great Tips to follow.. Thanks for sharing..

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

Tapas Adhikary, Glad to know this was worth your time and you found this motivating.

·
Amarachi Johnson-Ubah
Amarachi Johnson-Ubah
Aug 1, 2020

This is so helpful as well as intimidating😥 Any advise for a junior dev who has never had a technical interview? Do all of these apply too? Thanks.

·
·8 replies
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Hi Emmanuela Azubuike, like with every other thing else, the first step to getting comfortable with interviewing is to start interviewing.

For a junior developer, I recommend doing mock interviews a lot, learning your CS fundamentals (data structures and algorithms) while building your experience through contributing to OS projects and other personal projects.

I'll be happy to do a mock interview with you if that's something you're interested in, you can schedule one using this link bit.ly/tech-chat-with-meekg33k

·
Amarachi Johnson-Ubah
Amarachi Johnson-Ubah
Aug 3, 2020

Uduak Obong-Eren Thank you so much. I'll jump on this

·
Tony Eneh
Tony Eneh
Aug 11, 2020

Hello Uduak Obong-Eren I found this article soo detailed and helpful. Thanks 😊

·
Tony Eneh
Tony Eneh
Aug 11, 2020

Uduak Obong-Eren I would love to have the mock interview with you too. I followed the link, but your calendly says you got no free time in August.

·
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 11, 2020

Hi Tony Eneh, sorry my calendar is filled out for the month of August. Can we do sometime in the first week of September?

·
Tony Eneh
Tony Eneh
Aug 14, 2020

Thanks Uduak Obong-Eren for the kindness. First week of September will do. It seems one can't schedule for a month before it comes on calendly. I will go back to your calendar once we enter September. Merci beaucoup 🤗🙏

·
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 14, 2020

Hi Tony Eneh, my apologies for that. I've opened up the calendar for September. You can now book some time on my calendar. Please let me know once you're able to.

·
Tony Eneh
Tony Eneh
Aug 15, 2020

Thanks so much Uduak Obong-Eren. I have scheduled a meeting. 👍🔥

·
Lisa L Gruman
Lisa L Gruman
Aug 2, 2020

Hi, Uduak Obong-Eren: This article is great for anyone - even non-software engineers - looking to become great at interviewing . . . and life! Excellently detailed, yet easy-to-understand, you graciously and generously shared all your research to help others. In sharing your intellect, you also revealed your kindness. With thanks. +Lisa G.

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

Thanks for your kind words Lisa L Gruman, I'm really glad to hear that you found the article insightful.

·
Sandeep Panda Test
Sandeep Panda Test
Jul 31, 2020

What a resource! Bookmarked - thanks for writing this!

·
Rana Emad
Rana Emad
Jul 31, 2020

Wow! That's some great effort! Thank you for the tips

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

I'm glad you found it useful Rana Emad

·
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Deactivated User
Jul 31, 2020

E go be. Hahaha . Thanks for this boss. I have had two interviews, one of them I failed because I had issues deploying my app and the second one I assume I failed since I never really got a follow up mail from the company. It hurt a little. But we move

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

There are certain things we have no control of Efereyan Karen Simisola and there are other things we have control of - one of which is taking the learning points from every not-so-good experience we have and using it to make yourself better. I'm hopeful you will get something sooner than later. All the best!

·
Ben Johnston
Ben Johnston
Aug 1, 2020

Thank you Uduak Obong-Eren. I think you could probably flesh this out into an e-book and sell it on Gumroad. As helpful and detailed as this is there is so much more I want to know. You basically took a big enough sample to see the patterns in each step in the process.

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

It's a pleasure Ben Johnston. I'll definitely explore that option. I'm happy to talk more about this if you need to know more, you can reach me on Twitter - my handle is @meekg33k

·
Toby Osbourn
Toby Osbourn
Aug 1, 2020

As someone who regularly works with companies to hire developers, I wish every applicant could read this advice!

Great writeup!

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

Thanks Toby Osbourn, I'm glad you found this insightful!

·
Chet Kuhn
Chet Kuhn
Aug 1, 2020

So you're saying that all we need to do is be top-notch, A-list programmers with years of experience, world class communicators, best-in-class sales people, organizational wunderkinds, and genuine, endearing people pleasers? All at one time?

It's so simple, it's really a wonder that someone else didn't think of it first!

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 1, 2020

Nope Chet Kuhn, all I'm saying is aim to be better one day at a time. If at the end of that journey, you're all of these then why not? :)

·
Ruth Ikegah
Ruth Ikegah
Aug 1, 2020

This is very detailed, thanks for sharing Uduak Obong-Eren

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 2, 2020

Glad you found it helpful Ruth Ikegah.

·
Vesk
Vesk
Aug 4, 2020

I'm sorry to say it but am I the only one who thinks that the last bullet point in your pitch, about being adding diversity is just kinda weird? At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, even if such studies exist, that doesn't mean that candidates should be given an advantage/disadvantage based on something like this, that they haven't chosen and can't change. And saying that you deserve something more than someone else, because of your race/sex/gender/etc. is simply wrong, in my view. Besides that, I must say this is a great post and it is really helpful and insightful!

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 5, 2020

Hello Vesk, thanks for sharing your thoughts. First off, nowhere in my article did I mention anything about "deserving something more than someone else"; if you're focused on competing with someone else, I think you may be missing the main point of the article.

What I set out to do was present my unique experience, skills and personality (my race being a part of that) in such a way that my prospective employer sees enough value in me.

Secondly, diversity is something I care about and owing from some of the personal experiences I have had, I prefer to work with diverse teams. Though I presented my reasoning, the truth is that the decision is entirely the employer's to make. Notwithstanding, I don't think I want to work in an environment that thinks talking about diversity is "kinda weird".

But again, I really appreciate that you shared your thoughts.

·
Aliyu Abubakar
Aliyu Abubakar
Aug 6, 2020

I love this. I've always had it wrong sending applications and interviewing. This has just changed my mindset and perception. Learnt a lot. Thank you very much.

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 11, 2020

I find it fulfilling to hear this has helped improve your mindset. Thanks for reading. Aliyu Aboubakar

·
Diogo Machado
Diogo Machado
Aug 7, 2020

Thanks Uduak Obong-Eren for share these amazing points about your experience.

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 11, 2020

It's a pleasure Diogo Machado, glad to hear you found it useful.

·
Destiny Ajakaiye
Destiny Ajakaiye
Aug 7, 2020

Uduak Obong-Eren this was an amazing resource. Just in time for what I need actually. Thanks for sharing bro!!

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 11, 2020

I'm glad you found this useful Destiny Ajakaiye.

·
Yevgeny Lvovski
Yevgeny Lvovski
Aug 8, 2020

Thanks for the great tips. One thing that I would add is if you have favorite companies that you really want to work at, I suggest to apply there in a more later stage, after you practiced your interview skills in some low priority interviews.

·
·1 reply
Uduak Obong-Eren
Uduak Obong-Eren
Author
·Aug 11, 2020

Very well said Yevgeny Lvovski, that's valuable.

·
Chakradhar Rao Rayasam
Chakradhar Rao Rayasam
Sep 18, 2020

Uduak Obong-Eren man!! Awesome article...!!🔥🔥 Very informative and motivating...🤩🤩 Looking forward to see more from you😀

·
Andrew Baisden
Andrew Baisden
Mar 26, 2021

Another good post it really helps you to see interviews in a different light.

·