142 likes

·

5.7K reads

29 comments

Sébastien Portebois
Sébastien Portebois
May 30, 2020

Thanks! Really that’s a nice read.

This is indeed something we really miss in all the teams I’ve been part of, and I wasn’t aware of the Google course.... that’s something I’m so happy you shared.

Even if my goal is not to become one, since we don’t have one and we need to write docs, that’s an important skill to have! I’ll look into this course for sure!

If this can also help other readers, one resource I shared with my teammates (because we don’t have a technical writer to help us with this) was this great talk by Daniele Procida at Pycon Australia 2017, but there’s nothing specific to Python there:

It’s really a great introduction into documentation writing and organization. It’s only the beginning, but if you’re like us and don’t have a real technical writer, I found this really helpful.

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·May 30, 2020

Thank you for sharing the video. I will definitely watch it as well.

I am glad you found the article useful. Feel free to share it with your team.

·
Brandon Dusch
Brandon Dusch
May 30, 2020

Wow! This was an excellent read! Thank you so much for writing this. While I primarily want to work in development, this article has convinced me that being a skilled technical writer could add value to that. Once again, great article!

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·May 30, 2020

Thank you. I am glad the article helped you realize the importance of technical writing. I can't wait to read your articles.

·
maibathoaphatdat
maibathoaphatdat
May 30, 2020

Thanks much for your great article :)

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·May 30, 2020

I am really glad to know you found it useful.

·
Promise Reckon
Promise Reckon
May 31, 2020

That was quite intriguing. Nice piece you've got there. Congratulations

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Jun 1, 2020

Thank you Promise

·
Chigbogu Orji
Chigbogu Orji
Jun 3, 2020

Great piece

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Jun 3, 2020

Thank you Chigbogu

·
Ahmad Usman
Ahmad Usman
Jun 4, 2020

Now I feel compelled to learn technical writing with web development. Thanks for this article.

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Jun 4, 2020

It is really good to know you found it useful.

·
Harcourt O.  Hamsa
Harcourt O.  Hamsa
Jun 29, 2020

Didi! This article is great. It was what i needed to get started with technical writing. Thanks

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Jul 12, 2020

Hey Harcourt Hamsa, it is really good to know you found the article useful. I wish you the best in your technical writing journey.

·
Subha Chanda
Subha Chanda
Jul 26, 2020

Thanks a lot for sharing it! The article was really helpful to me. 😊

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Jul 26, 2020

It's good to know you found it useful Subha Chanda.

·
Allison Taofeek
Allison Taofeek
Jul 19, 2020

Thank you very much for this. Before now i find it hard putting my thoughts to words but after reading your post and taking the google technical writing course, i realised that my problem was a knowledge gap. I am now getting better at writing and also composing work emails, however i still need something to practise with consistently, don't know if you have got any ideas. Technical writing unbelievably improves coding skills in the area of areas of methods, parameters, and variable naming.

·
·2 replies
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Jul 19, 2020

This is literally one of the best things I have read today. Thank you for sharing how my article helped you improve your writing skill.

If you are looking for something to help you write consistently then you should participate in the #2Articles1Week challenge by Hashnode.

hashnode.com/2articles1week

·
Allison Taofeek
Allison Taofeek
Aug 25, 2020

Edidiong Asikpo Hi didi, I will like to ask you some questions about interswitch, please follow back on twitter at twitter.com/pheecson. Thank you.

·
Barnabas Asha
Barnabas Asha
Aug 5, 2020

I know I'd love writing but I just believed I didn't have the skills. Didi, Thank you for this article. It's timely, I hope to go on with my plan to publish something by Friday.

·
·4 replies
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Aug 9, 2020

Glad you found it useful Barnabas Asha. Did you publish the article on Friday?

·
Barnabas Asha
Barnabas Asha
Aug 9, 2020

Yes i did Edidiong Asikpo Thank you

·
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Aug 9, 2020

Barnabas Asha Yay! That is amazing. Please drop the link here. I would love to read it.

·
Barnabas Asha
Barnabas Asha
·
Patience Adajah
Patience Adajah
Aug 9, 2020

This was a great read. I found really good nuggets about technical writing.

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Aug 9, 2020

I am glad you found it useful Patience Adajah.

·
Dallas Spohn
Dallas Spohn
Sep 14, 2020

We have to use active voice when writing our curriculum books. I feel that even though this is an easy way to serialize and make a uniform style across several technical writers working on the same project, that having my one "flair" better markets myself. I like to read certain bloggers because of the way they write and the way their style comes across in their writing. Good article Didi I like following up on writing keynotes and courses so thanks for the links.

·
·1 reply
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Edidiong Asikpo (Didi)
Author
·Sep 14, 2020

I totally agree with you concerning the use of an active voice when writing articles Dallas Spohn.

Glad you found this article useful.

·
Light Segun Olumide
Light Segun Olumide
Apr 14, 2022

This is a great read. I'd recommend this to anyone anytime 🎉.

Thanks for sharing this. ❤️

·